PLC meetings - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Adventures of 6th

Rate this Entry

PLC meetings

Posted 01-15-2011 at 07:20 AM by imalith

PLC or professional learning communities simply means collaboratation. When I was initially introduced to the idea it all seemed so simple. I was told that the previous name for PLC was "outcome based education" but that had been brushed aside as things often are in the education world. The question however always weighed on me. Why did outcome based education fail?

Our school has been working in PLCs for about 6 years and I have witnessed the full spectrum. Fortunately, my PLC is amazing. I work closely with 3 other sixth grade LA/reading and history teachers. While we are at different levels of our teaching experience, everyone is willing to contribute and work towards improving instruction. Currently, we are working at a high level of productivity and improving student learning.

On the other hand, I'm witnessing several of my colleagues suffer through PLC meetings that are stagnating and a waste of time. Just one unwilling participant can derail the productivity of an entire group. It is easy to spend an hour railing about classroom challenges or one particular student, but to get down the the work of analyzing and improving teaching is a challenge. So many groups in our buildings suffer through hours of meetings where one or two people do all the work and present ideas, while others derail them. The principal declares they should "drag them along". But really, it just takes those amazing teachers and holds them back.

I celebrate my PLC! Everyone contributes!
Posted in Uncategorized
Comments 0

« Prev         Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments