Uncategorized - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Uncategorized Entries with no category
Old

Lots of excitement mixed with panic!

Posted 08-20-2010 at 05:08 PM by nzkiwi

So after several days of being in mental anguish over what in the world to do, I made my decision tonight. I got a call from the public school offering me the 6th grade language arts and science position I interviewed for earlier this week, and I accepted it.

It's almost funny how things work. Two days ago, my heart had decided to say no, if the job was offered, but after thinking things thru today, my heart began to settle on the idea that "yes" was the best option. I still someday want the adventure a position like Colorado would have offered, but my heart finally told me, I'm not ready for it yet. Instead, I'm going to teach where relocation isn't immediately necessary. My thoughts tell me: teach nearby, save up money (this position should be a significant raise), plan things out, and work on making the leap next year when it's completely on my terms—i.e. not an unexpected layoff and a scurry for last-minute positions. Where I really want be is abroad,...
Old

So torn...

Posted 08-20-2010 at 05:12 AM by nzkiwi

I'm waiting on a phone call. I interviewed with two schools earlier this week and they both said they'd try to let me know something by the end of the week. And with my old principal just emailing me this morning to say one of them (the one most ideal) just called her (she's one of my references), there's now this growing feeling inside of me that perhaps something might work out.

Of course, I'm not sure whether that would be a blessing or not. I'm soooo torn about what to do this coming school year.

There's part of me that says I should be grateful for a job and take the position (if offered). PROS: 1. it would teaching 6th grade science and language arts. 2. it wouldn't require an immediate move. 3. being a public school, it would be a higher salary. 4. for a public school, it sounds like a really good group of kids (i.e. principal said major discipline problems aren't very common) 5. the school seems really well-equipped (i.e. principal told me...
Old

Returning...

Posted 08-18-2010 at 01:42 PM by nzkiwi

So, yes, I fell off my blogging yet again. I think February was my last entry, and that was actually still in the old blog system. There have definitely been changes since I last put my fingers to the keyboard and typed here: some which I know have been good, others which I'm still trying to come to terms with.

For one thing, I'm no longer at the school that I used to be at. Less than a month before school ended, I learned my contract wasn't going to be renewed...lack of enrollment meant that there only needed to be one sixth grade versus two, and I was the one chosen to go.

After many tears, my heart began to tell me it was ultimately a good thing. There had been growing issues there for awhile, and I began to view it as perhaps a shove in a direction that I wasn't willing to go on my own. After all, for the last 4 or 5 years I've considered moving on, but just have never had the courage to do it (I loved my students and who I worked with).