Is this abusive? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Dreams and Nightmares

Rate this Entry

Is this abusive?

Posted 03-31-2011 at 04:43 PM by PrivateEyes

In my district, we give tests in each subject at the end of the quarter. Yesterday was our math test. It consisted of nearly fifty questions for my third grade kiddos. My special ed kids did not finish the test until about 2:30. (Started about 9:45, had a break for music and lunch, no recess) I still had regular ed kids finishing until about 2:00.

Why? Our SOLS won't take that much time. But our district's math department prides itself on the "rigor" of these assessments. Which really means that they use the most convoluted questions to "test" the student's understanding of the concepts.

When will the math gurus (who apparently haven't been in a classroom in years) remember that our kiddos are only eight years old, and deserve a fair test. District average was 60% on this lovely test. My class and school did a few points better. Does that mean we are terrible teachers, or that the kids don't know math? No, it means the damned test is so convoluted that it borders on child abuse.
Posted in Uncategorized
Comments 1

« Prev         Next »
Total Comments 1

Comments

1. Old Comment
    I'm with you on this one. I think it's physically and emotionally draining for all of our kids. Nothing should be that difficult for a child that young. I work with SLD kids and most of them are in tears by the time the test is over. They are so exhausted and defeated. I could tell anyone in the district that my kids would not be passing that test. Hence the reason why they are receiving special education services. Why the need to give them a test that just breaks them down??