Funny every year! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Dreams and Nightmares

Rate this Entry

Funny every year!

Posted 04-03-2011 at 01:14 AM by PrivateEyes

So, Friday, April 1st, I wrote down the homework assignment.

Reading: Read for 20 minutes. Record in Reading Log.
Writing: Write a 3 page story about the best present you ever recieved.
Science: Find 10 simple machines in your home. Identify the simple machine and its state of matter.
Social Studies: Write a report on Greece, Rome or Mali. Include illustrations.

Sternly, I reminded the students that there is no talking in the morning as they write down their homework assignments and begin morning work. As they finished writing down their homework, I went to each student, as I do each morning, to initial their planner. But Friday, instead of initials, I wrote down "April Fools!" and, after making sure they saw what I wrote, quickly shut their notebook.

Things I find funny, and charming.

1. The students rarely "tell" on me to other students. Each student is surprised, because all of the other students want to be in on the joke.

2. They're so relieved that they don't have all this homework they forget to be mad about having to write it down in the first place.

3. Every year, I have one or more students ask if it would be okay if they did the homework (or some part of it) anyway. That's so endearing.

This year, I have gotten very friendly with the autistic classroom. I say hello to the students and talk to them several times a week. On Friday, they were actually getting the concept of April Fool's Day, and enjoying it. Their teacher was very pleased as they pointed out to me that my shoes were untied, or their was a bug on my shoulder, etc.

I "fell" for all of them, even though I was totally NOT fooled by my third graders trying the same jokes on me. The autistic kids were SOOOOO pleased with themselves, it was just infectious. Their social skills have really progressed this year.
Posted in Uncategorized
Comments 1

« Prev         Next »
Total Comments 1

Comments

1. Old Comment

Love It

I love the fake assignment joke for April Fools. Now I can't wait until next year to try it.