Weather Discrimination - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Fear & Loathing in Special Education

Rate this Entry

Weather Discrimination

Posted 09-01-2011 at 08:42 AM by Speced9
Updated 09-01-2011 at 09:08 AM by Speced9

HOT. It's September for crying out loud, and it's HOT! Unbearably HOT. DANGEROUSLY HOT. I remember one time at the end of a school year, we had a heat wave come through. The outside temperature was in the low 90s. That wasn't bad. I could deal with that. Unfortunately though, our school wasn't air conditioned so it was pretty darn hot in the classroom. I actually brought a thermometer from home to measure the heat inside. It topped out at 120.

This week, cities across the midwest are topping out at 100+. That has to put those classrooms without air in the 130-140 degree range I figure. The main effect of this kind of heat is the melting of what little logical rationalization THE POWERS THAT BE have left.

Here's what I mean by this-

We all have SNOW DAYS, right? In my district, they also have a formula when dealing with extreme cold. If the windchill temperature is below -20, school is cancelled. Why? Well, for a very good reason. Our POWERS THAT BE are concerned about students who must wait on busses to pick them up. That kind of extreme cold could cause frostbite in a matter of minutes. I'm all for the use of the coveted snow day during this kind of weather.

This is where it gets stupid though. We're in the middle of extreme HOT weather. The POWERS THAT BE who are concerned about students' safety during a 15 minute wait at the bus stop in -20 weather, are the same bozos who have no concern at all about throwing children into a 120 classroom for SIX HOURS! How stupid is that? Oh, yeah, I forgot....we do let them bring water bottles.

The Weather Discrimination Song

(To the Tune of "Cold Miser/Heat Miser Song")

I'm an administrator,
I'm the man in charge,
I make the safe decisions,
in this school district of ours.

When it is super COLD out,
I close it all down,
NO KIDS AT SCHOOL IN THIS TOWN
It's the best decision I've found.

He's an administrator,
He's the man in charge,
He makes the dumb decisions,
in this school district of ours!

When it is super HOT out,
See the judgement change in a blink,
Common sense continues to shrink,
The kids can sweat while they think.
Posted in Teaching Related , Life As I Know It
Comments 1

« Prev         Next »
Total Comments 1

Comments

1. Old Comment

Bravo

You've got to wonder goes on in those special climate controlled offices of theirs. A hostile taking of their precious offices sounds like fun.
    Love the song. I've got to remember that one.