Fears of the Long Term RIFed teacher - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Hanging In the Primary Wing

Rate this Entry

Fears of the Long Term RIFed teacher

Posted 06-01-2010 at 01:00 PM by musicbug

1. How long can I be away from the classroom before I lose my "touch"?:confused:

2. How do you cope with bringing your own child to school without going into teacher mode? :o

3. How do you not show your envy and jealousy when watching or seeing others do what you'd kill to do?<!--misspeak-->

4. What will I be if I can't be a teacher?:confused:

5. Have I been blacklisted forever?<!--ouch-->
Posted in Teaching Related
Comments 2

« Prev         Next »
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    You are not alone. I've been substituting this year, and it doesn't look good for next year.

A day at a time is the best plan.

Good luck!
  2. Old Comment

Some Ideas, no answers

How long before you lose your "touch"--It's like riding a bicycle after an absence--you may wobble a bit, but you soon get your balance (I'm back after a 6 month lay off from teaching)

How to stay in parent mode--maybe look at just your own child.

Avoiding jealousy--you probably won't, perhaps you can keep your tongue behind your teeth as you smile at the other teachers. Maybe you can help the others avoid guilt for still being there.

What will you be?--Yourself, but with time to explore you and your potentials. Maybe someone with time to do all the reading and thinking that day to day stuff prevents. A gift of time.

Blacklisted--Never. "They" are estimating up to 275,000 teachers will be RIF-ed nationally if the feds don't continue their financial support. You will have tons of company--this isn't your fault. When the economy turns around even somewhat we boomers will be drifting out to create the long predicted teacher shortage. And you and your experience will be there.

I wish I had words of great wisdom, but "this too shall pass" is trite because it's true.