Ocean Theme 2009-2010 - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Creative Teacher

Rate this Entry

Ocean Theme 2009-2010

Posted 06-27-2010 at 04:49 PM by Mariely
Updated 07-01-2010 at 10:00 PM by Mariely

Last year I incorporated an Ocean Theme in my classroom decor. Here are the ideas that I came up with to use with my classroom theme:

BULLETIN BOARDS:

Word Wall
An Ocean of Words
Our Sea of Words

Student Work Bulletin Board
"Sea" Our Great Work
Splashing Great Work
Look Who's Work Made "A" Splash!

Math Word Wall
Hooked on Math
A School of Math Words

Writing Bulletin Board (displaying students' writing)
Catching Great Writers
Writing Treasure Trove
Riding the Writing Wave
A Treasure Trove of Writers

Science
The Scientific Sea

Social Studies (showcasing our state: Florida)
The Sunshine State

Core Values (for core value student of the month)
Sailing Away with Core Values

OTHER IDEAS:
  • D.O.L.P.H.I.N. Folders
    I used DOLPHIN Binders last year but they were too bulky and the students hardly used them. So this year I will use a folder instead which will contain some of the same resources I included in my DOLPHIN Binder. The only difference will be that students will no longer keep their subject area work in there since I collect it myself. Students will also have their clear zip-pouch in their folder to keep their "Fin" Dollars (our classroom currency for our classroom economy).
  • Take "Fin" Home
    I've been meaning to use this idea in previous years but I was not able to kick start it before. This school year I plan to use it from the beginning. I have a special bookbag which contains a stuffed bottlenose dolphin which I named "Fin". The bookbag also contains a composition notebook, crayons, color pencils, a glue stick, and scissors. Students will be chosen to take the bookbag home over the weekend. They are to then write about what they did with Fin while they had him. They write about it in the composition notebook. Every student will have a opportunity to take Fin home, write, and share their experience with the class. It's a great writing activity that I hope the students will enjoy.
  • "Fin" Dollars
    As mentioned before, I have a classroom economy and on our classroom currency I have a dolphin. We call the currency "Fin" Dollars.
  • Ocean Plush Animals
    I was at Target yesterday browsing the dollar section (don't you just love that section). While browsing I discovered six ocean plush animals for only a dollar each. I immediately thought about my theme and how great they would look in our classroom library area. I bought a sting ray, a shark, an orca whale, a pink dolphin, an octopus, and a lobster.
Posted in Teaching Related , Themes
Comments 5

« Prev         Next »
Total Comments 5

Comments

1. Old Comment

DOLPHIN Binder

Where did you get the cute graphics that show what items are in the binder? There is the black binder, pencil pouch, colored folders, etc. Did you create them? Would you be willing to share them or share how I can get them?
  2. Old Comment

Another DOLPHIN Binder question...

Also, where did you get the calendars, cursive writing, and other papers for the binder?
  3. Old Comment

Dolphin Binder

I created all of those files and they are available on my site. Visit this page and scroll to the bottom to download the file:

www.sanchezclass.com/dolphinbinders

It's all the way at the bottom. Enjoy!
  4. Old Comment
    Oh, OK! I was needing a purple folder in addition to the folders you had listed. You are quite talented, Mariely!
  5. Old Comment

Re: Dolphin Binders

You are quite welcome. Take care and thanks for your comment.