Summer Musings - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

fun_friend

Rate this Entry

Summer Musings

Posted 05-29-2010 at 02:29 PM by fun_friend

I am on summer vacation--one of the greatest perks of being a teacher. Like most educators, my mind turns to research and reflection about teaching.

I haven't taught core curriculum in 4 years, and next year, I will be teaching language arts again to middle schoolers--not sure which grade yet. It is pretty certain that my students will not be the most motivated or talented in the school--teachers with gifted certification get all those as well as the AP-prep students leaving the rest to the likes of me. These students will likely be indifferent at best when it comes to reading, writing, and all the rest. With this fact in mind, I am mentally preparing to make next year go well despite the odds.

First, I bought a book called The Shut-Down Learner by Richard Selznick, Ph.D. I'm still reading it, but it describes the kind of student that will certainly populate my classes. Thanks to this book, I have been reading related information on the internet regarding the learner that is primarily spatial in nature. It's food for thought
Posted in Teaching Related
Comments 0

« Prev         Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments