Mrs. C - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Old

We Had a Field Day!

Posted 05-18-2010 at 04:39 PM by Mrs. C

Literally. It was wonderful weather - maybe a bit on the heated side - but the clouds I ordered in for this afternoon made it tolerable.

Of course, the most important thing that I try to instill in my students each year is their sportsmanship. It is important to me and I want them to know how to lose and win gracefully.

However, there is this ugly side of me that rears out its head every year when we get to the Tug Of War. I would hate for anyone to get hurt, but I would really like to see my students give the rope a strong yank and have the opposing team fall like dominos. Each year I try to stay calm, but much to my dismay (and probably the dismay of parents and my own students), I get a little too into it.

This year, I thought I would be in charge of videoing the event. This way, knowing my words and voice would be on tape, would diffuse me from letting the competitive beast out.

It didn't work. Now I have it documented...
Old

I'd Rather Eat A Bowl of Hair

Posted 05-16-2010 at 06:50 PM by Mrs. C

I'm going to be honest. I don't really care for field trips. Don't get me wrong. I think they are a wonderful learning experience for students and provide opportunities that they may not receive any other way. I completely understand their value and appreciate it. But, I don't like going.

There's really not one stand alone reason, either. More so a culmination of many petty little things. Before I go on, you should know something about me. I am one of those anal retentive elementary teachers.

You know the ones - need to have control over every situation, students must be paying attention and behaving and acting like the perfect class, sitting on your pockets on the bus, and don't you dare interrupt the speaker to tell a story.

So tomorrow, as we trapse through the woods in search of becoming one with nature, I will have the "ticker tape", sunscreen, first aid kit, cell phone, list of emergency numbers, crackers for the bus...