Educational Stew - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Educational Stew: combining a bit of this theory, that philosophy, and those resources in hopes of creating something effective and delicious!
Old

Accepting help :)

Posted 06-28-2010 at 08:21 AM by reesespieces

One of my goals this year is to avoid teacher burnout by accepting help that is offered! I have already had SEVERAL parents whose children I have taught offer to help me set up my room and help with anything I have need of.

Why is it so difficult for me to let people actually help me? What is this need to do everything perfectly and do everything myself?

I have found that, though I work tirelessly in an attempt to do so, I cannot do everything that I want to do. There are not enough hours in the day and I do not have enough hands. When I try to do everything, I am spread so thin that I am of no use to the children when they come in in the morning-and isn't that who I am there for?

As teachers, it's hard to let go of that control, but I am sure going to try for the sake of my sanity!
Old

What will mold my teaching for next year

Posted 06-21-2010 at 05:42 AM by reesespieces
Updated 06-25-2010 at 07:15 AM by reesespieces (adding)

Another year has ended and next year provides new students (1st graders!), new challenges, and new opportunities to be effective and meaningful in our practices. I have been completely wrapped up in professional literature because my students deserve the best teacher I can be. Here are some of the books I have read/are currently reading/are on order to guide me through preparation for next year:

Books on the Reggio Emilia Approach:
Beautiful Stuff: Learning from Found Materials
Designs for Living and Learning
Working in the Reggio Way
www.theprojectapproach.org

Classroom Management:
Punished by Rewards
Beyond Discipline

Building Community:
The Morning Meeting Book
The First Six Weeks of School (Thank you, Mrs. R!)

Classroom Organization:
Spaces and Places
Classroom Management in Photographs

Content:
Guided Reading
Making...