state response to my email - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Adventures of 6th

Rate this Entry

state response to my email

Posted 01-07-2011 at 06:22 AM by imalith

I emailed our state ed. department to ask about the assessment of summary. I realize that I'm sounding a little obsessed with summary at this point. Fortunately they did not send men with white coats to get me, they simply replied, very thoroughly, to my email.

In a nutshell: I asked why a summary statement was awarded points and expected in the graphic organizer, but was not awarded points in the short answer response.

The answer was that in the year 2007, after reading great responses from students realized that they should award a point for summary statement. So now, in a question that asks for 3 events they could actually earn full points if they have a summary statement and 2 events.

I had two reactions to this. First, awesome! I can teach good summary writing for short answer essay. Second reaction was a curse word and questioning why this information is not revealed to teachers and students. Why did I have to spend 7 hours acting like a detective to figure out summary assessment. It is very frustrating.
Posted in Teaching Related , Reading , Writing
Comments 0

« Prev         Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments