Getting Ready to TEST! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Readin' + Writin' + 'Rithmetic + So Much More!

Rate this Entry

Getting Ready to TEST!

Posted 03-25-2010 at 04:51 PM by J.Elaine
Updated 03-26-2010 at 04:51 AM by J.Elaine

We had our big faculty meeting this afternoon. You know the one -- everything you ever wanted to know about the big STATE TESTS and so much more.

It all starts next week. Tuesday, Comm.Arts session 1 and Wednesday, Comm.Arts sessions 2-3. The next week is Math, and the week after that is Science. So far we (my students and I) have not let ourselves go into a frenzy over it. It's just one of those things we have to do in education, so we do it. I have to confess. I will be very happy when it's all over and behind us. Then we can go back to real life.

This is year two of a two-year loop for our class. My students will be leaving me to go to the Middle School. It's always a sad day to see them go, but they are so ready to leave the nest, spread their wings, and fly (a little!). Before that last day rolls around, we have so many things to do:
D.A.R.E. Camp and Graduation
Sixth-Grade Orientation and Enrollment
Field trip to Steamboat Arabia
Awards Assembly
And all the other gazillion end-of-the-year presentations by the bands, choirs, dance groups, etc. performed by the middle and high schoolers.

That's just to name the activities I can think of off the top of my head! It's going to be a busy 2 months -- April and May. We have 6 snow days to make up, so our final day of school is May 28th, and I'm planning to pack those 2 months full of fun and learning!

I grumble and complain about TESTING and all the other hoops we have to jump through in public education, but I can't think of another job I'd ever want to do. I love learning and teaching. I love my students. I love . . .

Good Grief! I'm really getting all mushy-gushy here! I'd better stop before I start crying!

Later . . .
Posted in Teaching Related
Comments 1

« Prev         Next »
Total Comments 1

Comments

1. Old Comment

Ditto

Well, ditto about the reflections on having the kids for two years and seeing them go off to Middle School. Half of my students were with me last year as little frightened 5th graders mixed in with some pretty tough 6th graders. They learned a lot about the meaning of friendship, toxic relationships, self-empowerment, and personal responsibility through class meetings and a girl's self-esteem group that I felt compelled to run during my lunch break once a week.

We have not gotten to the big meeting about professional standards and expectations during testing. Our Spring Break is next week and we will come back and hit the ground running with lots of practice tests.

Elaine, I just have to say that I love your style of writing and the more that I read from you, the more I feel like you are one of my "sister soul mates." Your students are so lucky to have you as their last experience within the shelter of one classroom before they start to scatter into their next type of learning experiences at Middle School. Thank you for all that you do for them and for sharing the sweetness in your heart with us on PT.

NeeCee
    Updated 04-02-2010 at 10:16 AM by NeeCee