My District, In their Great Wisdom - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The Blog Of the Bigwig Rabbit

Rate this Entry

My District, In their Great Wisdom

Posted 04-07-2011 at 11:43 AM by BigwigRabbit

My district has decided to use the Value Added rubbish to evaluate teachers here. They've dressed it in a different gown and given it a new name, however. It still will use standardized test scores to evaluate our performances.

In this scheme, they assign a numerical value: positive, negative, or neutral. Isn't that nice? Students are now assigned numerical values. These values are then used to determine growth and/or growth potential (or lack thereof).<!--break-->

In order to arrive at these values, these grand and glorious [I]magi [/I]willtake several criteria into account. Some of these are: socio-economic status, English Language status, homelessness, and mobility (whatever [I]that[/I] means). Of course they cannot understand that they will never be able to account for all of the variables that can affect a student's score, such as family violence, family drug use, family apathy, et al, ad nauseam.

On top of that they have neglected to consider that standardized tests do not measure student learning. At least not to the extent of what is produced in class. Is every administrator or bureaucrat above the level of principal an imbecile? It appears so.
Posted in Teaching Related
Comments 0

« Prev         Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments