Blog Entries - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Old

Amazing!

Posted 06-02-2011 at 06:03 PM by gohokies

I see how amazing second graders are everyday. I think we adults could learn so much. We have a new second grader-11 days until the year is over. My kids are bending over backwards to help him. One of kids said that he has asked him to play a lot and he keeps saying no. Would we be so giving? This new boy is ESL and he works so hard! He is in our country for less than a year and he is so eager to learn. He is always smiling, working, and ready to try anything. Amazing!
Old

Posted 05-29-2011 at 12:31 PM by Speced9

Then it's the summer that I don't want to begin. I have four days left in my classroom before I officially have to move out and make way for someone else. Yes, I'm still excited about taking over the head resource position next year, but I've been avoiding the thought of just how difficult it's going to be to leave my classroom behind.

This past school year has been one of the greatest of my career. I've had a class of children who I've loved to death. I was able to secure funds for iPads and become a pioneer of their use with primary special needs students in the district. We won a major award for a book we wrote, illustrated and published. Years of tweaking this and that finally came together giving me what I consider to be the most solid program I've ever had in 15+ years. So, all of that leaves me questioning myself,

"What kind of a nut leaves their classroom while they're on top?"

The answer to that question...
Old

Poetry Arrived

Posted 05-25-2011 at 12:21 PM by BookMuncher

These last few months have been filled with so much learning- but it was learning that was much different than what I'd been accustomed to in my pre-child years. My husband and I consulted tons of baby books, websites, and friends in an ongoing effort to determine if we were permanently damaging our child. Turns out- much like teaching, you can make all kinds of mistakes without too much worry. Babies are resillient. (Thank goodness!)

Just as I started to get the hang of this baby thing, my constantly turning mind started to return to me. I've never been good with staying cooped up in the house- or with doing the same thing day after day. I needed something more to do! So what did I turn to? You guessed it!

Words- glorious words- came to my rescue, all of them my knights in shining armor. I got a Kindle, and started reading again. But even more important...
Old

Introducing...

Posted 05-20-2011 at 01:06 PM by BookMuncher

Finnian James

After 9 months of pregnancy and 5 months of diapers, I'm thinking I might - possibly - maybe? have something to write about here.
Old

This Whole PC Is Killing Me

Posted 05-18-2011 at 09:37 AM by BigwigRabbit

Actually, this is an experiment. Anyway, My district is adopting the reading series [U]Treasures[/U]. Yes, that gives a huge clue as to which district I work for, but as some have found, a little sleuthing and one can figure out exactly who I am. Doesn't matter.

Well, I got a chance to look over one of the units in this reader. It's horrendous. Are they trying to bore the kids into failure? There is a story on saving the wild horses. Maybe they should have one on wild cows too? Perhaps saving the wild hamsters would be equally as riveting.

There's a big story on Martin Luther King. Now, I've got nothing against King. However, by the Fourth grade they've been doing songs and plays and books and shows and all manner of activities related to MLK. So why not choose another Civil rights leader? I'd think they would want to introduce the children to some lesser known, but still important figures such as the Tuskegee Airmen.

It seems that each successive...
Old

Nineteen Days...Nineteen Ideas

Posted 05-09-2011 at 04:40 AM by Speced9
Updated 05-09-2011 at 09:02 AM by Speced9

Nineteen. That's how many days I have left in the world of K-2 instructional special education. Next year, I'll be transferring over to a resource position.

This is a very hard time for me. I'm not ready to leave my classroom by any means, but you have to take the opportunities as they come, no? So, I'm looking to make my last four weeks of classroom time something to remember. I won't lie, a lot of GREAT things have happened this year that make it feel like I'll be going out on an extreme high note. Still, it's nice to fantasize and have silly thoughts because who knows.... maybe my new position will be so boring I may never blog again!

So, that brings us to.....

NINETEEN DAYS OF SILLY CLASSROOM IDEAS

Day 19- The Kids Write the Lesson Plans Day
9:00-10:00 Sit and Look Sleepy
10:00-11:00 Puzzles and Blocks
11:00-12:00 iPads 101
12:00-2:30 Lunch/Recess
2:30-3:30 Nap Time
Old

GLAD training part 2

Posted 04-23-2011 at 07:20 AM by imalith

This week the GLAD training was half day in a classroom with students and half collaboration time. I know, right? Real collaboration time? When does that actually happen?

I started off very skeptical of the entire process. It seemed that like most trainings, I would pick and choose the best parts of the training and never bring it all together. However, after witnessing it in the classroom setting, I can see that I would like to implement much more than I expected.

The idea combines all those best teaching strategies that particularly work well for young children and ELL students. It combines the brain research ideas and creates, dare I say a young elementary style of hands on learning that supports struggling learners, but at the same time gives you opportunities to do group work with high learners and low learners.

The main idea is to front load content information, to give accessibility of the content information to all students. Then...
Old
Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

In Defense of Teachers Everywhere

Posted 04-22-2011 at 03:27 AM by musicbug

What I wouldn't give to be able to send the following letter to parents everywhere.

Dear Parents:

It has come to my attention that there is some confusion as to how this whole "school thing " works. So we avoid misunderstandings, read and keep the following to refer back to throughout the year.

What Teachers Do?
Teachers educate between 20 and 35 children at a time moving them toward mastery of basic reading , writing , math, science , and social studies. Teachers work with the children in small groups to differentiate and enrich education experience.

In order for you child to benefit from the said instruction they need the following:

1. Parent Support. This is not as difficult as it seems. Check your child's backpack each day You will find all sorts of important information: notices, returned assignments, homework and communications from the teacher. To make...
Old

Research Topics

Posted 04-21-2011 at 05:34 AM by BigwigRabbit
Updated 08-10-2013 at 04:14 PM by BigwigRabbit

Here's the rest of the research topics that I had written down. Just in case anyone ever comes by to look- that cares.

[LIST][*][SIZE=2][B]Stercorarius Job/Night Soil Man[/B]
[/SIZE][*][SIZE=2][B]Louis Keesberg[/B] (Content Warning)
[/SIZE][*][B][SIZE=2]M黨lviertler Hasenjagd[/SIZE][/B][*][SIZE=2][B]Jerusalem Bus 19[/B] (Content Warning)
[/SIZE][*][SIZE=2][B]Pyroclastic flow/Laha[/B]r[/SIZE][*][B][SIZE=2]Kali/Esckrima/Arnis[/SIZE][/B][*][SIZE=2][B]Sailing Stones [/B] [/SIZE][*][B][SIZE=2]Scaphism [/SIZE][/B][SIZE=2]([U]Strong[/U] Contnent Warning)
[/SIZE][*][B][SIZE=2]Seiche[/SIZE][/B][*][B][SIZE=2]Skeleton Lake[/SIZE][/B][*][B][SIZE=2]Toba Supereruption[/SIZE][/B][*][SIZE=2][B]Foxfire[/B] [/SIZE][*][B][SIZE=2]Well to Hell Hoax[/SIZE][/B][*][B][SIZE=2]Moeraki Boulders [/SIZE][/B][*][SIZE=2][B]Penitentes[/B] [/SIZE][*][SIZE=2][B]Columnar Basalt[/B] [/SIZE][*][SIZE=2][B]Catatumbo Lightning[/B][/SIZE][*][SIZE=2][B]42.zip
Old

On Discipline

Posted 04-20-2011 at 02:46 PM by BigwigRabbit

One should never send a student to the principal's office for discipline unless it is a suspendable offense. Once one has sent the student out for disruptive or other non-violent infractions, one has sent a clear message to the student. That message is, "I can't handle you."<!--break-->

Many discipline plans call for set penalties that increase in severity, such as time-out, detention, note home, call home, go to the principal. What does one do with the student who does not care about a call home? In fact a call home to this student's parents might result in the teacher receiving a tongue lashing from said parent. What does one do if this student progresses to stage 5 before recess? The teacher sends the student to the principal, which in many cases results in "counseling" and a triumphant return to class. With a chronically misbehaved student, the office gets tired of seeing him/her and pressure comes down on the teacher.