Blog Entries - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Old

Tag Team Reading Groups

Posted 04-07-2010 at 03:30 PM by tangerine

I am trying hard to be on Spring Break and not spend all of my time thinking about my students. I can get fixated, which is good for my teaching but not so good for the rest of my life.

A good teacher DOES need to be well rounded.

So the hubby and I took the boychild and his buddy to the local amusement park yesterday and had a great time. The weather has been absolutely gorgeous!

I had broken my toe the day before - so the walking was a challenge, but I did okay.

Today my mind is swirling again with thoughts of my students and how to approach reading groups when we get back from break. I am thrilled with the progress I see in many of my kids. One in particular who was basically at a preschool level in her literacy walk has made great strides and I'm just so proud of her. She is a reader now - albiet at a very early stage. Her eyes shine now when we read a book together and she can make sense of the words. She carries...
Old

It's the 3rd day of Spring Break

Posted 04-07-2010 at 05:11 AM by PrivateEyes

Yesterday, my alarm went off at 4:00 in the morning, which is my usual wake up time. My particular clock is set to go off only during the week days, not the weekends. It took me awhile to figure out that it really WAS Tuesday, and not a major malfunction in my alarm clock.

I wasn't quite so sound asleep this morning. I couldn't sleep because I was creating/grading tests all night. (Do you ever do that?) Finally, I fell into a deep enough sleep that I began to dream. The custodian was calling to tell me that there'd been a fire at my school, and my room was destroyed. School was cancelled until May 5th.

I was lamenting my lost library, and more importantly, begging the custodian to SAVE my brand new SMARTBOARD! I was worried about how my students would ever pass the SOLS after such a long break/loss of instruction time.

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to have a vacation without worrying about school?
Old
Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.

Once Upon a Time

Posted 04-06-2010 at 05:18 PM by BookMuncher

Once Upon a Time, a very long time ago (in the year two thousand and six) in a kingdom called Pennsylvania, a young teacher started a blog. All she had was a pretty silver Dell laptop, bestowed upon her by her school district, and her day-to-day experiences teaching first grade. She taught and she blogged. She taught and she blogged. People from far, far away logged onto their black and silver and pink laptops and onto their gray desktops (and even onto their classroom computers!) and they read the teacher’s blog. Pretty soon, the blog had a merry group of readers. At all times of day and night, they talked and shared about all things reading.

And the blog grew. And the young teacher grew. The two of them (the blog and the teacher) became part of each other. Years passed. The teacher started teaching second grade. For four years they grew up and up and interwined more and more. The young teacher changed the way she taught because of the smart things her readers suggested
Old

My first blog!

Posted 04-04-2010 at 04:14 PM by KTeach_IN

Woo hoo!! My very own blog! I've always wanted to have a blog! Even if nobody reads it, it will be a great place to write about my daily goings on in my classroom and a way to reflect on my teaching.

I think I have the best job in the world!! It's just all of the higher up stuff and school politics that I could do without.

So, this is the beginning of my blogging journey. I will be sharing my successes, struggles, funny moments, and the moments you just have to laugh or you cry!
Old

The TEST Saga Continues

Posted 04-04-2010 at 12:30 PM by J.Elaine
Updated 04-04-2010 at 04:40 PM by J.Elaine

The whole entire week before we started TESTING, we were dedicated to preparing our school, classrooms, and students for TESTING! We cautioned our students about walking quietly in the hall -- respecting others who may still be testing. The office staff pledged that interruptions via the intercom would be eliminated. We gathered all necessary materials ahead of time to eliminate any possible distractions. We knew a nice quiet, comfortable, safe, peaceful atmosphere would be conducive to our students' ability to focus.

Then came TESTING - Week One. All systems were GO! And now the countdown . . . 3 . . .2 . . . 1 . . . begin!

I was poised with the TESTING manual in hand thinking we'd thought of everything! But guess what we didn't count on? Our school is under construction, and BIG, heavy-duty equipment worked right outside our windows. You all know that nerve-wracking "BEEP, BEEP, BEEP" made by big earth-moving...
Old

Day 2: Potential

Posted 04-04-2010 at 04:00 AM by Carolynn

“No matter what your level of ability, you have more potential than you can ever develop in a lifetime.” James T. McKay

We all have potential. Great potential. I'm sure of it. I see it in my classroom each day. Kids with plenty of potential. But how do I get them to see it? How do I get them to utilize it? On my run today I was thinking about the potential that I have. I know from when I attempted to run before that even though I am at low ability for running I do have potential. Running day after day, I slowly but surely became a better runner. At first I was running for 1 minute then walking for 1 minute. Weeks later I was running a full 30 minutes. Then I stopped logging minutes and turned to miles. First 3 miles, 4, then 5, 6 and at last 8 miles. I remember the day I ran 8 miles. It was unbelievable to me. Me, the girl who couldn't run to the end of her driveway running 8 miles! Maybe that's what I need to do for my kids at school. Help them to break...
Old

Spring Has Sprung

Posted 04-03-2010 at 06:12 PM by tangerine

Spring Break! Spring Break! Gotta love it!

I slept in this morning until 10:00 a.m. I did manage to do a few loads of laundry and the grocery shopping and sweep the hardwood floors.

The kidlets were hyped yesterday, but they were good. It was an insane day with three big things going on one right after another. The time flew by.

We were told that purchasing is changing this year and I have until the end of the month to turn in the textbook inventory and list what our needs are for the grade level next year. Ack. This is not a good time. I don't want to have to think about that stuff yet. I'm still trying to build readers and writers here, people. I have kids I'm worried about.

Not to mention that 3/4 of the stuff we asked for last year never arrived. Perhaps if the items came in on time....or even at all.....I would feel more enthusiastic about doing it again.

Today was lovely. I love the feeling...
Old

All about Purpose

Posted 04-03-2010 at 04:10 AM by Carolynn

I went out running for the first time since last summer. It was tough. Really tough. I have never found running easy. In fact it's always been the opposite. Six years ago I started becoming interested in running. I think because I noticed that the people I saw running every day seemed to know something that I didn't. They seemed obnoxiously happy. I was amazed at how they could get out there everyday and put one foot in front of the other. So I tried it. I soon discovered it was hard. Very, very hard. I started on a run, walk program though and I was able to run my first 5k. I was slow and at the very back of the pack but I did it! I thought that was it. I was a runner. However, since then I have started and stopped numerous times for numerous reasons. I was even part of a running group for awhile. I often regret having stopped going to that group. Yes, not everyone got along and yes, it sometimes used up more of my time than I wanted to give but I realize...
Old

Healthy Teachers Needed

Posted 04-02-2010 at 02:53 PM by tia

Isn't it our responsibility to be as healthy mentally and physically as we can? Don't our students deserve that?

Just doing a little blogxperiment...
Old

Always Holster the Boobies

Posted 04-02-2010 at 02:51 PM by tia

There is no inspirational quote for today---just make sure that you are wearing your jog bra when you plan on going jogging.

Day before yesterday I went for a walk--thought about jogging part of the way but realized I had on a regular bra.

Yesterday I had little time between baseball practice and dinner so hustled into my workout gear and took off. Wasn't long into the jog that I realized.....I wasn't wearing the jog bra. sigh....

I have lost the 2 pounds I put on this spring break. Am hoping to lose SOMETHING before heading back on Monday. I've done some sort of exercise every day except for today. Since our baseball game has been snowed out, I have a couple bonus hours that I can do something with.