Blog Entries - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Old

New blog, new beginnings

Posted 04-01-2010 at 06:55 PM by Top Cat

The new blog gives a sense of new beginnings, even though the year will draw to a close in 8 weeks. I am still stumped on how to best arrange this room for a good traffic flow and a positive environment.
Old

Going from teaching half day to full day kindergarten

Posted 03-31-2010 at 03:09 PM by lovkteaching

I am currently preparing to go from a half-day kindergarten to full-time kindergarten next year. I keep telling myself it is just change that is scaring me. Everyone I have spoke to that teaches full-time says I will like it.
Old

Some Kind of Miracle

Posted 03-31-2010 at 03:08 PM by tia

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start."--John Bingham

I'm really just posting to see if this will post on the blog pages. Pathetic, I know.

Yesterday the opportunity to workout sorta passed me by. I wanted to go for a swim at the gym, but that fizzled out. Turns out the only one-piece that fits me (don't mean to imply that I have bikinis that DO fit) is in the wash anyway.

I did walk in place and do some low-impact aerobics in place while watching American Idol last night. That's gotta count for something...

And I gained TWO pounds. I've avoided sugary foods, cut back on soda, been drinking more water, haven't snacked on junk.....I love it!

So....I'm going to go check on my bike to see if it's clear for takeoff--haven't ridden it in about 2 years. If not, it's a walk for me.
Old

hello

Posted 03-31-2010 at 02:53 PM by me41

Wow. My own blog. I did not ask for it, yet here it is. I will think about what I can share with the rest of you. It will be an interesting journey. Stay tuned!
Old

Still working..

Posted 03-30-2010 at 07:06 PM by liketeaching1

Is change always difficult? Many of my blogs have touched on the positive changes within my classroom and also my philosophy of teaching.

Maybe the new blog gives me an opportunity to change. After all the season of spring has arrived. But there are many negatives flowing throughout my school. I've tried to deal with it in an unusual way--hiding! Yes, just taking a break from the lunch negative fussing. Yes, just taking a break from the chit chat in the hallways. Yes, just taking a break from the way others look upon administration's desire to be a professional school.

We will see...
Old

Wow! I have a blog!

Posted 03-30-2010 at 04:01 PM by tangerine

What a surprise!

I hadn't expected to get a blog. I think it was over a year ago that I originally requested one. After some months went by, I figured it just wasn't an option anymore.

I'm the lead first grade teacher at a big elementary school in a small town in Virginia. Where I'm from is a bigger city with lots of small elementary schools, so this was an adjustment.

I love my job, though. First grade is the perfect place for me. I feel blessed to have a supportive Prince/VicePrince team and to have a beautiful school.

Spring is a weird time of year for educators. At least for me it is. My focus is split between getting the kids in my care to where they need to be so that they're ready to advance to the next grade level and to prepare for next year and the new batch of kids. It's the time where administration expects us to decide what needs ordered. It's the time where changes to the curriculum are being made to go...
Old

No Child Left Unpublished

Posted 03-30-2010 at 11:03 AM by Speced9

The class-made book is an experience that too few special needs students get to experience. Trust me, in the not so distant past, I didn't think it was possible either until I realized that creating a book together was subject to modification like everything else.

I'd see other classes proudly displaying their books at open houses. There they were with their perfectly printed pages, vibrant illustrations and spiral bindings, and what did I have? A collection of random thoughts, broken sentences and unidentifiable pictures overly pasted on construction paper. I knew there had to be a better way.

It wasn't until about five years ago that I realized the shared writing experience could be modified without guilt. It started with the realization that children's authors very rarely illustrate their own books (but kudos to you, Todd Parr and Eric Carle!), and they definitely never had to self-publish. My thought was this- why not make class-made...
Old

I'm strong today!

Posted 03-29-2010 at 02:53 PM by tia

"Are you going to be a wimp, or are you going to be strong today?"--Peter Maher, marathon runner

Enough inspiration, here comes the whine:
I don't really have any workout gear that I fit into! My back, arms, belly fat, and boobs have gotten so big, my tops don't quite cover all that they should. (The boobs were already plenty big, so them getting bigger is not a positive.) My @$$ is so huge that my workout pants are high-waters! It's too cold still to wear shorts (not that I could fit into them), thank goodness, because my gelatinous thighs would be sure to cause traffic accidents!

Today's workout:
1.3 mile run
12 crunches
12 side crunches each side
12 push ups
12 seconds wall sit
5 lunges each leg

I caught a bit of Ruby this afternoon, and her therapist asked her to change 5 habits. (She put mirrors around her house, got rid of her big old comfy chair, cut out...
Old

My Old blog...

Posted 03-29-2010 at 01:08 PM by liketeaching1

Here is the link to my old blog which is the background for my current thoughts.
Old

A Cheer

Posted 03-29-2010 at 01:07 PM by liketeaching1

A Cheer
03-28-2010, 11:22 PM
#1 I have to thank the kids when I hear them cheer when it is novel read aloud time. Isn't that what it is all about? My blog title" You've got to love what you have" of course came from Winn Dixie. We just finished The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane. I didn't know what to pick up next but decided on Because of Winn Dixie. One of my higher level first graders had already checked it out of our school library--just because it was by the same author. And isn't this what I have mentioned in our reading meetings about how I always look for anything and everything by an author when I read something I truly love.