Posted 07-04-2011 at 06:48 PM by msavario

I am still working on my new blog but it is:
www.krazyaboutteaching.blogspot .com

Follow me)))
Old

Ten Reasons to March on Washington

Posted 07-02-2011 at 07:33 PM by tangerine

Ten Reasons Why I am Marching on Washington on July 30 with Save our Schools

1. I want kids to have a rich, developmentally appropriate curriculum taught by dedicated, highly-qualified teachers who love what they do. I want teachers with good instincts and the ability to think on their feet versus teachers who will follow a script and make sure things "look good" when administrators visit. Learning is messy and a bit chaotic. I was teachers who relish some mess and chaos and know what to do with a teachable moment. Those teachable moments rarely have a scripted anticipatory set, people.

2. I don't want kids to be tested to death. Kids under 9 don't even standardized-test reliably. Yet, we do it. When a teacher suggests to an administrator or politician in the age of AYP and NCLB that standardized quarterly testing of primary-aged students does not provide any valuable data to inform our instruction - said administrator or politician blinks,...
Old

Reading Without Turning a Page

Posted 06-27-2011 at 12:34 PM by Speced9

Like it, or not, we're ROLE MODELS. Some of us take that responsibility to the limit; We live a life that is squeaky clean and forthright. Some of us live along the other extreme. Excuse my generalization, but these folks are usually the black sheep of the profession because the lives they lead unfortunately spill over into their career. Then there's teachers like me. I'm far from perfect, but I've gone to great lengths to project a positive example to my students. What does that entail? It means that there are some things I've never done in public places where a student might see me, i.e. smoking (when I used to), drinking (on those rare occasions), wearing a wife-beater shirt (which I find very comfortable), or posting pictures of my bachelor party on Facebook.

There are some things though that fall into that hypocritical area. For example, this year our school adopted a healthy living curriculum. If I hadn't gotten on track over a year ago, I'd feel like a phony teaching...
Old

The story so far...

Posted 06-23-2011 at 05:22 PM by TcherGurl528

To be honest, I'm a cliche. I was the kid who made her younger brothers do every page in those ridiculous educational workbooks that my mother would buy for us. I read to my stuffed animals every night before bed. I have lived and breathed teaching since I was a toddler. And when I turned 16 and it was time to start working, I chose to work at a local elementary school at their after school program. My plan, upon heading off to college, was to major in Elementary Education. I was pretty sure I had it all figured out.

But the world works in mysterious ways. As a freshman, my Elementary Education adviser handed me a piece of paper and said, "Here's your schedule for the next 4 years," and I balked. No studying abroad, no class choices... So instead, I majored in psychology and minored in Special Education. Because truthfully, the kids who needed the most help were the ones I wanted to work with most. But I could see the writing on the wall -- Special Education...
Old

To DO LIst FOR SUMMER!

Posted 06-22-2011 at 07:51 PM by mrsjames2nd

1. Spend time with my family. ( hats off to all 2 year old teachers! Phew! my son wears me out! today I have a bruise on my foot from the big "pet" rock my son accidently dropped!)

2. Decorate my class ( self proclaimed shop-a-holic here)

3. Start course work ( okay starting my doctorate program and I am so excited, I hope I still am excited 3 months from now)

4. Enjoy my summer( hard to do now, why did I volunteer to work summer school again?)

5. Decorate my house ( oh yeah, now I remember the answer to #4)

6. Get organized ( this just gives me another excuse to add to my addiction "shopping trip")

7. Use my coupons and find an easier way to save money. ( My gosh I did the coupon thing for the very first time, I saved like $30 but if you pay me my hourly wage for the length of time I spent shopping for "deals" I would...
Old

Does It Rub Me the Wrong Way? ABSolutely!

Posted 06-21-2011 at 03:27 PM by Speced9

Once upon a time, MTV decided to make the lives of some kids living in Jersey a reality show. Once upon another time, some college guy decided to create Facebook. Still, another once upon a time, a PT blogger had a teenage daughter whose Internet usage was monitored on a daily basis. All was "happily ever after" until all three of them collided.

I've read quite a few articles pertaining to the similar profile pictures that young ladies seem to post on their Facebook page. As a "creeping" (their words, not mine) parent, I've noticed these trends too.

First there was the "Hey, what the hell is up there? Oh, it must be cute because I'm smiling" picture. I'm guessing that this kind of picture portrays the subject as cute, impish and flirty. At least that's what it says to me. God only knows what it means...
Old

Cheerleader practice

Posted 06-15-2011 at 07:46 AM by msavario

I decided to become the cheer coach of my school's squad. We have practice today, I hope this won't be too stressful and teach at the same time)
Old

end of the year thoughts- random

Posted 06-13-2011 at 05:14 PM by teacher24

I know I am meant to teach because:
  • As much as I complain about the job, I continue to think about changes I plan to make for the next year.
  • I do it well and want to master the craft.
  • I love helping children learn.
The other day, a professor said to my class:
  • We see growth when we step out of our comfort zone.
  • This is true; but I also think you need to grow within your comfort zone.
  • Correction = I speak for myself. I need to grow within my comfort zone, and that is what I plan to do.
This job's not easy, but somebody's gotta do it
Old

The Ungiving Tree

Posted 06-13-2011 at 03:09 PM by Speced9

It's hard to type while angry. I'm expecting to look down at any moment to find my fingers shredded and blood upon my lily white keyboard. I can't help it though. I'm ticked. I'm bent outta shape. I'm pissed. I'm ready to blow a gasket. Did I mention that I'm a tad bit angry here? The worst part about it is that I'm really just angry concerning something that happened almost a year ago.

It all goes back to last summer when I applied for a technology position within the special education department. You can read about that here. The end result was what I expected it to be. I had heard back in January of 2010 that THE POWERS THAT BE already had someone lined up for the position. This happens a lot in my neck of the woods. Jobs are created for people and any posting, interviewing and possibilities of transfer by others (a.k.a. ME) is merely an illusion. So, I knew there was only one chance of me getting that job and that entailed the other person tripping...
Old

A New Addiction, for you

Posted 06-12-2011 at 09:08 AM by BookMuncher

Peek, if you dare. But I'm warning you- a new addiction looms.

Perhaps everyone else has already discovered this alluring new website. Perhaps, in my baby-induced haze, I missed it's public entrance. But if you haven't heard, Pinterest is sooooo much FUN! I found the site about a week or two ago (the details are fuzzy) and I simply cannot stop pinning.

For those who've never been, Pinterest is like this gigantic maze of bulletin boards, curated by people from all over. I, myself, only curate about 7 or 8 boards. But some people have many more. The boards hold mostly images, but the images link back to the original websites. They hold quotes, recipes, images, images, and more images. They hold visions of the perfect house, built- in reading nooks, tips for making watermelon punch. They hold books that have been read and loved and books to be read...