The Miraculous Journey of... - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The Miraculous Journey of
a first grade teacher who is always striving to excite my kids into the wonders of the world of reading. Only through demonstrating my love for books can I instill this in my kids. Join in my thoughts--rambling they may be.
Old
Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.

Sharing my bench idea for book baskets

Posted 08-01-2010 at 03:00 PM by liketeaching1

Sharing ideas has become a major focus here on ProTeacher. It seems that one idea that I have shared has become a favorite for asking more information.

As I begin a new year in teaching I will begin by sharing this idea with directions.

I use book baskets for my kids' to house their self selected books for reading independently and to a partner within the Reading Workshop idea of teaching reading. I have gained so many thoughts from you. I also am anal when it comes to organization within the classroom. I guess part of the reason is that there is NO closet for materials. Everything that is in the classroom is visible. Because of that--every nook and cranny (is that a Southern phrase?) is utilized. When it came to storage of the kids' baskets I have had those all over the room. A couple of years ago I began using an empty desk in the center of groups of desks. I tried lowering the empty one and using it to hold the baskets in order to not interfere with vision
Old

My Old blog...

Posted 03-29-2010 at 01:08 PM by liketeaching1

Here is the link to my old blog which is the background for my current thoughts.
Old

A Cheer

Posted 03-29-2010 at 01:07 PM by liketeaching1

A Cheer
03-28-2010, 11:22 PM
#1 I have to thank the kids when I hear them cheer when it is novel read aloud time. Isn't that what it is all about? My blog title" You've got to love what you have" of course came from Winn Dixie. We just finished The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane. I didn't know what to pick up next but decided on Because of Winn Dixie. One of my higher level first graders had already checked it out of our school library--just because it was by the same author. And isn't this what I have mentioned in our reading meetings about how I always look for anything and everything by an author when I read something I truly love.