A New Addiction, for you - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Once Upon a Reader's Workshop

Rate this Entry

A New Addiction, for you

Posted 06-12-2011 at 09:08 AM by BookMuncher

Peek, if you dare. But I'm warning you- a new addiction looms.

Perhaps everyone else has already discovered this alluring new website. Perhaps, in my baby-induced haze, I missed it's public entrance. But if you haven't heard, Pinterest is sooooo much FUN! I found the site about a week or two ago (the details are fuzzy) and I simply cannot stop pinning.

For those who've never been, Pinterest is like this gigantic maze of bulletin boards, curated by people from all over. I, myself, only curate about 7 or 8 boards. But some people have many more. The boards hold mostly images, but the images link back to the original websites. They hold quotes, recipes, images, images, and more images. They hold visions of the perfect house, built- in reading nooks, tips for making watermelon punch. They hold books that have been read and loved and books to be read and loved. I can pin items that I see on other's boards, or I can venture out into the wide web and pin something new. It's like we're all little squirrels, scouring the web for little bits of shiny, happy bits.

Now. To tie it to teaching. Because Pinterest functions like a bulletin board, it kind of lets you build a vision. For example, I have a board called "Inside Our Dream House" where I've been posting bright white kitchens, walls of antique mirrors, and all types of wildly beautiful bookshelves (actually- there are so many bookshelves that they really should have their own board). I started a teaching board. Instead of posting lots of places to download worksheets, ideas for Halloween projects, and charts to make (all of these you could also collect), I'm trying to collect photos, images, and text that remind me the way I want my classroom to feel. Like my dream house board, my classroom board is me- pinning up paper cranes, white curtains, and beautiful words. Then standing back and taking a look. Then taking one off and putting up another. What a fabulous way to do your summer envisioning.

Of course, my room won't have most of the things I'm pinning to my teaching board. But perhaps the inspiration I'm finding as I lounge in the sun will make it's way into the calm of my room.

Friends, pin away!

www.pinterest.com

My boards:

http://pinterest.com/andim/

(If you join, follow my boards. I'm "andim")

PS: When I first joined, it forced me to "request an invitation" and then I had to wait a couple of days before I was invited via email. I can't decide if it's because the site is still glitchy and they can't keep up with the interest, or (as my husband thinks) they are just trying to make it seem exclusive. Anyways- if you have to wait, you can still poke around and see all the sites.
Posted in Teaching Related
Comments 9

« Prev         Next »
Total Comments 9

Comments

1. Old Comment

Another ...

After spending hours on the fabulous "teacher" and "family" and "home" blogs, here is another way to enjoy.

I can see your likes so clearly!
  2. Old Comment

oh my

You were right! I never should have looked. I love this site. I have already signed up. I can't wait to figure it all out. WAY fun. WAY cool! Just in time for my birthday too!

Oh dear!

Trip [/QUOTE]
  3. Old Comment

Holy Cow

I cannot wait until they send me confirmation! I love this kind of thing-the school site you found is great!
  4. Old Comment

Your Tree Curtains

Where did you get your tree curtains that you have posted in your picture?
  5. Old Comment

I love Pinterest!

I think we are following each other!
    mymommyreads.blogspot.com
  6. Old Comment
    I just discovered this a few days ago. It was mentioned on a first grade teacher blog that I follow. I could tell right away that I'm in BIG trouble. I'm totally addicted. And school isn't quite out, yet. I look forward to checking out your boards.
  7. Old Comment

:-)

Glad you're all thoroughly addicted. :-)

Holly- I made the trees out of brown and green felt. (They are separate pieces) So I first hung the two trunks from the drop ceiling. Then I clipped the leaves- the green parts- in front of the trunks on the metal part of the ceiling.
  8. Old Comment

Do I Need Another Addiction?

I don't know why I didn't take heed to your warning. I'm waiting for confirmation now.
  9. Old Comment

Still Waiting

Do I need to get an invite from someone who is already a member? Other bloggers have said that it only took a few hours. I'm still waiting anxiously.