progress on assessments - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Adventures of 6th

Rate this Entry

progress on assessments

Posted 11-05-2010 at 07:26 PM by imalith

Okay, I'm a terrible blogger, never posting.

I've been working with renewed vigor in my goal to rework my reading program. I've been choosing one target learning goal and creating assessments to fit that goal. I use the open court book like an anthology and focus on the reading skill that is also the focus of the program. So far I have worked on these:

Firebuilder: author's purpose
Amaroq: cause and effect and inferencing (that was a total mistake to do two! Inferencing is more than enough)
On Top of the World (the book has cause and effect, I switched to compare and contrast).
St. George and the Dragon, compare and contast.

Author's purpose was a relatively easy skill.
Inferencing was a challenge. Student were able to think of an inference, but they were not supporting their answers with quotes from the story. They would write either reasons without quotes or quotes without reasons. Since I'm working my students towards mastery, I retaught and let them rewrite their tests.

Mastery is great for students. Kids get evidence of learning if they are able to succeed. This mastery teaching is killing me. I'm always grading and regrading. I much say though. For the first time I really feel like I'm getting somewhere. Kids are learning.
Posted in Reading
Comments 0

« Prev         Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments