Day 1... - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The Reading Rollercoaster

Rate this Entry

Day 1...

Posted 08-30-2011 at 04:52 PM by TcherGurl528

Today the "school train" left the station. A former colleague described the school year this way, that teachers & students board the train in September and there is no getting off until June. True, we may have vacations and days off scattered throughout the year, but we continue to chug along at relative full speed.

Today was the first day in my new position. I am trying to follow my own directions, and listen twice as much as I speak. So far, I have mostly been hearing about the teacher who was in my position before. While people have spoken favorably about this individuals work with the students, the feedback I have heard hasn't been particularly positive regarding interactions with other staff members. I try to nod and smile, and then redirect the conversation.

So I feel like I have a bit of a mountain in front of me, because I am inheriting a position that was regarding rather negatively. I am trying not to let it get to me though, and decided to try to begin "damage control" but walking around to all of the classrooms today and setting up times to come in and read a picture book to the students. This accomplished two goals -- it got me into all of the classrooms within the first few days (a time when I don't have my services up and running yet as many teachers haven't figured out their schedules!), and it also (hopefully) gives the teachers the idea that I am someone who is there to help out in their classrooms. All of the teachers that I spoke with were very open to the idea, so hopefully this will be the beginning of rebuilding some trust. It seems unfair that I have to work on this, as I was not the person who created the situation, but that's the way these things work sometimes.

Overall, I am excited! I am looking forward to getting a schedule up and running and beginning to know what I'm doing in the school.
Posted in Uncategorized
Comments 0

« Prev         Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments