And the Least Likely Child Will Lead Us - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Fear & Loathing in Special Education

Rate this Entry

And the Least Likely Child Will Lead Us

Posted 05-13-2010 at 02:53 PM by Speced9

I have to give a quick shout out to one of my students. Here's what happened:

We wrote a book in March and had it published by Student Treasures (check them out, they are fantastic!). Today, our books were delivered. Before I unveiled our newly published book, I reviewed the steps it took for us to get where we were.

To say the kids were off today would be a major understatement. I'm not even sure they knew their own names this afternoon. So, as quickly as the discussion started, it stalled miserably. I couldn't get a right answer to this question-

What does an author do?

I got every conceivable wrong answer there is.

"He draws the pictures!"
"He is the author!"
"He reads books!"
"He supervises and regulates banking institutions to ensure the safety and soundness of the nation's banking and financial system, and protect the credit rights of consumers."

Okay, I just made that last one up, but really, I was getting quite irritated that my students couldn't answer a question that we've been going over and over the whole year. I was beginning to wonder if the pod people had made their way to the playground this morning.

Then finally, with a hand in the air I rarely see, the least likely child of my classroom raised her hand. I won't lie, she is one of my favorites, but when comparing her abilities to the other kids, she is so, so far behind them. To make matters worse, she also has quite an articulation problem, so full sentences are rare from her.

So, I thought, "Well, everyone else has answered...." (some of them twice even) "why not give her a chance." So, I called on her and she said,

"WRITES THE BOOK!"

"What?", I said in disbelief.

"WRITES THE BOOK!"

I was elated! I gave her a double fist bump. The kids gave her a single fist bump each. I double fist bumped her again! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

The child least likely to lead us just showed us the way.

« Prev         Next »
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment

I just love your blog

You hit the highs, like this one, and you get the lows, too.

Your gift of writing makes it easy to feel like I'm right there whether it's in your classroom or at home with your irritating neighbor.

I'm so glad you write for all of us.
  2. Old Comment
    Thank you, Hideeho, I appreciate it. By the way, I love your username! It reminds me of a student I had named Heidi Heish. Every morning I'd say, "Hi-dee-ho, Heidi Heish!" THAT is alliteration at its finest.