Oh Where Have You Been, Tangerine? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The Teaching Life of Me

Rate this Entry

Oh Where Have You Been, Tangerine?

Posted 07-16-2010 at 01:10 PM by tangerine

I've been a bad, bad girl. I haven't been here posting as I'd planned. I'm teaching still...summer school. It's only 1/2 days, but it's the 1/2 of day that you'd really be teaching (basically, no planning time, no lunch, no recess, no morning announcements, that sortof thing). So, content wise, it's still heavy. Not to mention we're working with kids who really need the help. I'm loving the small group, though...with lots of time for reading groups and one-on-one conferencing. I can only imagine how much learning could happen if I had such a small group all year instead of the typical 24 or so that I get with no aide. Oh yes...that's the other thing great about summer school. We even get an aide for 1/2 an hour each day who comes to help with reading groups. So cool.

But, I'm looking forward to the end of next week and the chance to finally really be on break for a little while. My one concern with taking the summer school assignment (we need the money...) was going back to school still exhausted. My plan is to really really be OFF for the couple of weeks following summer school. Sure I'll read some stuff and think about some things, but I want to sleep in and head to the amusement park and go to a movie and wander around Target and stuff. I want to feel a little freedom before it's time to go back and get the room ready and face the stress that comes with high stakes testing and state interventions. Luckily, my teaching partner is pretty fabulous so that has made it all a lot nicer.

I recently bought No More I'm Done, so I need to get to work on reading that, too. We're implementing 6 traits at school this coming year, and I'd like to have a good feel for how I'm going to do that. I've used Caulkins for the past couple of years. I've also used Kid Writing. I suspect I'll continue to use aspects of both of those as well.

I also want to revisit Daily 5 and get ready for the coming year's reading instruction. This past year was my first foray into D5. I had to modify it for my class schedule and all the basal stuff we're required to do, but it really was fabulous for reading. But since I've only done it once, I feel a real need to bone up on the particulars of the beginning of the year. It was so long ago that we sat down and made those first few anchor charts for how to read and why we read! lol

I did manage a trip to Target a week or so ago and go the replacement book bins I needed for the ones that broke last year. I am wondering if I would have been better off sticking with the IKEA ones I used two years ago. I just didn't feel like trekking all the way to IKEA. But, I had to replace 9 this past year because of chipped corners from falling over and such. That really does add up.

My other pondering now is behavior. I used Marvin Marshall's system last year and I have to say I LOVED it. The beginning was awkward - kids wondered where the behavior board was. But, it WORKED. I switched the last marking period to that clip chart system, and while there are some cool things about that system, I really did feel like I had a lot more behavior issues when I switched to it. Something about ornery kids figuring out that if they had "clipped up" a couple of times during the day, they had a cushion before there was really a consequence. Not good. I liked it better when the focus was on doing the right thing because it's right.

So much to chew on. I think that because I went straight into "summer school teacher" mode, I didn't really get the chance yet to do much pondering. I can feel my brain telling me it's time to wonder and think about next year and the community of learners that I'm going to facilitate.

So exciting, this thing we do....

~Tangerine
Posted in Uncategorized
Comments 0

« Prev         Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments