Thoughts Looking at the Recliner - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Fear & Loathing in Special Education

Rate this Entry

Thoughts Looking at the Recliner

Posted 02-11-2011 at 07:54 AM by Speced9

Well, this is my last post concerning open inguinal hernia surgery. I hope what I've written over the past month will give those looking at having to have this surgery and understanding of what to expect.

I'm now at week four post op. This week was kind of a turning point. One of the things that I can't stress enough is for people to TAKE IT SLOW. I've come to realize that doctors are somewhat like car salesmen and work-from-home scammers. They give you this best case scenario, deal of the century, easy money vibe when in reality you'll be driving a clunker and find yourself having to budget your energy.

After I went back to school, I found that I had a certain limit to walking around. There were days when I'd come home and have to lie down in bed with an ice pack because I was hurting so much. So, the moral of the story is to keep your schedule light, and refrain from going into the office ten times a day.

The turning point this week is that I've found myself feeling more comfortable at the end of the day. I've also noticed that the healing ridge of the incision has gone down considerably. The other positive of this week is that I didn't repeat my tendency to sit around and eat junk like I did two summers ago when I had sinus surgery. After a couple of days of comfort food* I returned to my healthier eating I had established before my surgery. To date, I haven't gained any weight, so my fear of packing on 30 lbs. like I did before has been averted.

My game plan is to get back into the gym in a couple of weeks. I'll start out with lots of stretching and very light weights and go from there. Again, SLOW is the key. I figure by summer, I'll be back to my regular workouts. By the way, I believe it is true that people can get a high from physical activity. I never realized how stress-relieving going to the gym is. I've missed it quite a bit.
Posted in Not Teaching Related , Life As I Know It
Comments 0

« Prev         Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments