Blog Entries - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Old

Thoughts From the Recliner Part III

Posted 01-20-2011 at 12:47 PM by Speced9

There came a moment this morning when I found myself pensively pondering my situation. Snow was falling silently outside. I had turned the television off, so all I could hear was the rhythmic breathing of my pooch as she slumbered away the hours as she often does. (I must also add that she has the most expensive dog bed that money can buy. We like to call it THE COUCH.)

It was at that moment I realized I had adopted the lifestyle of a dog in three day's time.

The similarities are staggering. For example:

My Dog: Spends at least 20 out of 24 hours sleeping/lightly dozing on the family room furniture each day.

Me: An uncanny coincidence, but I must admit that I am the only one who is pretending to be watching the television at the same time.

My Dog: Keenly...
Old

I Just Healed 50% More in 5 Minutes

Posted 01-20-2011 at 11:17 AM by Speced9

I called my classroom attendant during lunch today. It just so happens that today was an inside lunch recess day, so I was able to talk to each and every one of my students too. What I intended to be a motivator for them while I was away actually turned into a pick-me-up for myself. Bless their hearts. To say that I miss those children is an understatement.
Old

Thoughts From the Recliner Part II

Posted 01-19-2011 at 02:01 PM by Speced9

What's the worst part about recovering from surgery at home? BOREDOM.

I feel like a kid the third day of summer break.

"Mom, I'm bored!"

I'm so bored in fact, that I'm considering getting one of my colleagues at school to set up an iChat video conference between me and my class. Ah, isn't technology great? Can't you just see the astonished (and scared) little faces of my students during that little activity? I could even multiply the effect by one thousand if I have my colleague connect their end to the computer projector. Then I'd come across as

THE GREAT AND POWERFUL OZ!

So, let's hope, for my sake, that that happens. Otherwise, I'm likely to wither away from nothing to do. You see, here it is day two after surgery and I've come to the realization that recovery from hernia surgery is not about...
Old

Thoughts From the Recliner Part I

Posted 01-18-2011 at 05:08 PM by Speced9

Okay, so the surgery's over. I'd love to say that a lot of crazy things to blog about happened, but they didn't. Actually, it was a pretty pleasant time. Kudos to the great staff of medical personnel who took care of me. So, I figured I'd just document my experiences in case anyone has to go through what I have in the future. We'll just call this

THE HERNIA DIARIES.

January 17, 2011
DAY ONE

8:00 am
It's pre-op time. The only thing worth mentioning is the four different people who came in to ask me my name and what I was having done. My wife chuckled after the third person came in and asked. I would have laughed myself, but alas, it hurts to do so.

9:00 am
My surgery nurse comes in with a Sharpie in hand. She tells me to initial the place on my body where the doc will do the cutting. Given the area is MY GROIN, I end up having to violate myself. I wanted to write "cut here",...
Old

Periodically Posted Research Number 4

Posted 01-18-2011 at 07:19 AM by BigwigRabbit

Today's topics: [B]The Female Anopheles Mosquito, DDT, and Malaria[/B].

Was it worth the trade? I'd say not.
Old
Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

PLC meetings

Posted 01-15-2011 at 07:20 AM by imalith

PLC or professional learning communities simply means collaboratation. When I was initially introduced to the idea it all seemed so simple. I was told that the previous name for PLC was "outcome based education" but that had been brushed aside as things often are in the education world. The question however always weighed on me. Why did outcome based education fail?

Our school has been working in PLCs for about 6 years and I have witnessed the full spectrum. Fortunately, my PLC is amazing. I work closely with 3 other sixth grade LA/reading and history teachers. While we are at different levels of our teaching experience, everyone is willing to contribute and work towards improving instruction. Currently, we are working at a high level of productivity and improving student learning.

On the other hand, I'm witnessing several of my colleagues suffer through PLC meetings that are stagnating and a waste of time. Just one unwilling participant can...
Old

Periodically Posted Research Number 3

Posted 01-10-2011 at 06:22 PM by BigwigRabbit

This time's topic: [B]The Parktown Prawn[/B].

Minor content warning.

The stuff of nightmares.
Old

Her Knee....Uh

Posted 01-09-2011 at 05:26 PM by Speced9

As time inches towards the inevitable surgery, I've found exactly what I can and cannot do with a hernia.

HERNIA DOS AND DON'TS

DO accept that you're getting older and hernia's are a part of that process.

DON'T give your hernia a name.
(I'd go with Hermie.)

DO exhibit caution when lifting.

DON'T pick up anything other than your hernia off the floor.

DO push that sucker back in.

DON'T get caught with your hands down your pants.

DO make light of it.

DON'T make balloon animals with it.

DO Laugh Out Loud!

DON'T ROFL!

DO go to the bathroom.

DON'T expect to read.
(You'll be too busy holding in your hernia.)

DO wear your normal clothing.

DON'T wear that...
Old

state response to my email

Posted 01-07-2011 at 06:22 AM by imalith

I emailed our state ed. department to ask about the assessment of summary. I realize that I'm sounding a little obsessed with summary at this point. Fortunately they did not send men with white coats to get me, they simply replied, very thoroughly, to my email.

In a nutshell: I asked why a summary statement was awarded points and expected in the graphic organizer, but was not awarded points in the short answer response.

The answer was that in the year 2007, after reading great responses from students realized that they should award a point for summary statement. So now, in a question that asks for 3 events they could actually earn full points if they have a summary statement and 2 events.

I had two reactions to this. First, awesome! I can teach good summary writing for short answer essay. Second reaction was a curse word and questioning why this information is not revealed to teachers and students. Why did I have to spend 7 hours acting...
Old

Positive or Negative View

Posted 01-01-2011 at 08:12 PM by BigwigRabbit

I've noticed that certain colleagues of mine always have a negative view of their class. Last year I had a great class and one colleague also taught 4th with me. She had a really crummy class, believe it or not. Now, this year, she has another crummy class, accept this time she has many of the wonderful students I had last year.

Last year they were witty and bright, amiable and fun. Now they are dull and dimwitted, boring and slothful. What a difference a year makes.