Blog Entries - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Old

Vacation...

Posted 07-03-2010 at 06:53 PM by pooh_girl

Okay so I have not done any work on website, but in all fairness I am taking the actual vacation part of my vacation. My brother is getting shipped to Iraq for at least a year so I went home to visit with him before he goes. I am on vacation until next Thursday when I work my part-time job. I am guessing the work will really start on July 12.

I am thinking though (always thinking!!!) about what content I would like, etc.

I did however stay up until 5:15 am last night ordering a bunch of stuff from VistaPrint on that $5 shipping deal. Highlights include desk fairy cards, homework coupons, stampers, 2011 magnet calendars as gifts for students, thank you cards for volunteers/mystery readers, and a yoga chick tee-shirt for me! Even if that I have so many ideas but somewhat lacking in how to make designs to upload. Figuring it all out at 3 or 4 am is not smart. I was too tired to really play around. How I am up now at 11 pm is beyond me since I only got...
Old

Proudly Walking Over Burned-Out Bridges

Posted 07-03-2010 at 06:54 AM by Speced9

The way I figure it, there's three distinct ways a teacher can handle themselves in the political arena we call the education system. There's the person who understands how wrong things can be, but doesn't rock the boat. There's the person who recognizes the wrongfulness of administrative decisions, but rocks an imaginary boat (usually after they've had a few). Then there's guys like me who don't care about what's popular and go with what's right. We approach that boat, rock the hell out of it, and leave a fiery trail behind.

For the first time in my career, I'm facing the consequences of my actions.

Back in 2002, I began a Master's program that was long over due. Years before that, many of my colleagues went the administrative route, but I just couldn't bring myself to do the same. I wanted my Master's degree to be a means of broadening my skills and...
Old

The Tale of Yaskara Camacho, An Atrocity This Time

Posted 07-02-2010 at 04:26 PM by BigwigRabbit

This has only happened to me twice so far, so don't think I've got a bucketful of these tales. At least I only know of two (this one and the previous one about Erika).<!--break-->

Yaskara wasn't very smart. She struggled in all academic areas, but she was really sweet. She never caused any problems and she was nice to everybody. The memory I cling to is nice but it feels a bit odd relating it. I'm a male teacher and quite a manly man if I do say so myself. I remember riding back on the bus from our field trip and she fell asleep on my shoulder. I've got a pretty big shoulder so it must have been a nice pillow for her. That's what I hope, anyway.

She left my class at the end of the year and went on to fifth grade. I had little contact with her after that, but I had her cousin that following year. Her cousin was also very sweet and nice, but she was also brilliant. She manipulated the classroom economy with acumen and a certain ruthlessness that was fairly...
Old

Time Flies.......

Posted 07-02-2010 at 08:30 AM by kitty97

I just ended the last day of summer school yesterday. It is always to amazing to me how much pre-kindergarten children can grow (physically, emotionally and academically) in 9 months. It is such a transformation! These children are accomplished and by the end of the year-They KNOW it!
I also watch (sometimes in horror, sometimes in amazement) how fast my own little one is growing and accomplishing on a daily basis. This is THE REASON that I choose to become a teacher. It is all of the little successes that culminate into victories!!
It is the same with us, as adults. Perhaps we don't grow as exponentially as our students or children do, but we do and must be cognizant or our own growths: mentally, socially, academically and professionally. We must stay motivated to learn and in turn motivate our peers to continue on in the continuim towards successes and little victories and ultimately triumphs.
I don't ever wish to become stagnant! I hope that you share this sentiment...
Old

Art Imitates Blog

Posted 07-02-2010 at 03:47 AM by Speced9
Updated 07-04-2010 at 02:30 PM by Speced9

I've heard others say that, "Creativity is infectious." Well, I'd like to take that one step further and say that for me, creativity is addictive as well.

Sometimes when I get an idea, it leads to another and another and another. That's just how I roll- it's all, or nothing. So, when something comes to mind for me, it's a good bet that I'll end up going on some kind of creativity bender. On the surface, it looks the same as an alcohol, or drug bender. I spend my day(s) unshaven, unshowered and unresponsive. I slur my words. I have periods of missing time. There's a glazed look in my eyes, and the dog seems to avoid me. The difference though, is that I end up with something useful, funny or thought provoking in the end.

Such is how it went after my last blog post, "To a Tee". After creating some I-wish-I-had-the-guts-to-wear-them shirts for Casual Fridays, I began to think about some legitimate ideas. Camped on the couch (the...
Old

Sour Lake Part 2

Posted 07-01-2010 at 04:10 PM by BigwigRabbit

There was one week left of camp. Danae and I talked honestly about how we felt. Neither of us felt any different. As the week raced by we were horrified to realize that that old lady was a liar. The day we went home was the saddest of my life, or so I thought that day. <!--break-->
Life continued just as I had pictured it. We wrote long letters back and forth. We talked extensively on the phone. I waited for the end to begin. To my surprise Danae called one afternoon. She had great news. She was moving to my town. I immediately thought of the old lady. Maybe she had told the truth. Maybe the lake water had taken this long to take effect. The day Danae moved in was the happiest day of my life, or so I thought that day.
She arrived during Christmas Vacation. We spent a lot of time together sledding, ice-skating, and playing pinball at the bowling alley. Then school started back up again. I helped Danae find her classes, meet people, and get settled. Everybody...
Old

Young Writer's Survival Guide

Posted 07-01-2010 at 04:17 AM by Mariely
Updated 07-01-2010 at 09:57 PM by Mariely

I just wanted to share that Melissa Forney's Young Writer's Survival Guide is still available for download throughout this Summer 2010. Go to:

www.forneyeducational.com

Find the link on the homepage below the information on Writing Camp and How You Can Become an Author.

Best wishes!
Old

Project related blog

Posted 06-29-2010 at 11:15 AM by pooh_girl

There are many great blogs out there so I don't think my teaching experience is all that different. What I decided to do is to make a blog designated to designing my own classroom website. I have designed a website in the past, using HTML, but that was many years ago. I feel as if I am back to square one.

I have a little dorky site on the Scholastic classbuilder website. I don't really like it. I have been inspired by many sites I see here so I know I can make one I can be proud of.

Today is my first real day off so I might work a little bit, but leaning more towards just fun for today.
Old

Accepting help :)

Posted 06-28-2010 at 08:21 AM by reesespieces

One of my goals this year is to avoid teacher burnout by accepting help that is offered! I have already had SEVERAL parents whose children I have taught offer to help me set up my room and help with anything I have need of.

Why is it so difficult for me to let people actually help me? What is this need to do everything perfectly and do everything myself?

I have found that, though I work tirelessly in an attempt to do so, I cannot do everything that I want to do. There are not enough hours in the day and I do not have enough hands. When I try to do everything, I am spread so thin that I am of no use to the children when they come in in the morning-and isn't that who I am there for?

As teachers, it's hard to let go of that control, but I am sure going to try for the sake of my sanity!
Old
Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

New Florida Math Standards

Posted 06-28-2010 at 07:42 AM by Mariely
Updated 07-01-2010 at 09:58 PM by Mariely

I was recently trained in the new Florida Math Standards which we refer to as the Next Generation Sunshine State Standards (NG SSS) for Math. Basically, elementary grades are no longer going to cover all aspects of Math in each grade level (i.e. Number Sense, Geometry, Measurement, Algebraic Thinking, and Data Analysis/Probability). Instead, each grade level will focus on a few Math concepts which are referred to the Big Ideas.

In fourth grade for example, we will be covering Multiplication/Division, Area, and Decimals. We will also cover three supporting ideas which will help students review previously learned concepts and concepts they will learn in future grades. The state is moving from teaching a mile wide and an inch deep. Long gone are the days when we used to teach Math just to cover a topic without the students understanding it in depth. Now we will cover less but go much more deeper in the topic so students know it inside and out.