Blog Entries - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Old

365 days

Posted 08-19-2011 at 05:03 PM by nzkiwi

I've been in working in my classroom every day this week (yes, it's teacher work week). I've gotten a lot accomplished, but still have a LONG to-do list ahead. When I stop to think about it, it's still a bit scary how much needs done in the remaining two days I have before school starts, but then I remember where I was exactly 365 days ago, and then it doesn't seem so bad.

Rewind time to today, last year, and actually at about this time at night, was when I got hired by my new school. It was the day when the absolute crazy insanity of prepping for an entire year in just two days began! Looking back on it, I'm still amazed I survived it. It certainly wasn't my best year of teaching, but after coming out of the year feeling pretty burnt out, I have discovered my excitement for the new year has been returning over the past couple days.....and that's definitely a good thing!

For one thing I'm thrilled with the prospect of being exclusively a language arts...
Old

no word yet

Posted 08-18-2011 at 07:41 PM by Mr Sensai

on the potential job though I should have an idea soon.

After doing lot of thinking I would leave in a heartbeat if I got this job. I am in need of a change and after making a list of things I will miss in Japan vs things I wont miss I realize I should move given the chance.

I also got my work visa renewed so worst case scenario I can return back to Japan and get work again.

I am slightly bummed I have no date lined up for tonight and my two friends have dates. Well I should be the one going but I backed out to let my friend have some fun and a date since he never gets any. Too lazy to post the link to the thread I made about it

What do people do on a Friday night if they have no date or plans? I am going to be sooo lost and confused tonight being alone at home.
Old

Am I moving on?

Posted 08-16-2011 at 12:46 AM by Mr Sensai

Well back from a nice restful vacation and dreading the return back to school in 6 days. Just rested today and the big news is I got a job offer from a school in Russia.

Ok not an offer (yet) as they emailed me and asked if I was still interested in the job and please resend my resume. So I did. It would be teaching grade 4. (perfect!).

I have a few babes there. Despite Grace and Love-Teach opinion she is not 15 and just looks young.

I am quite familiar with the culture and life there so that is no issue just the corruption but I grew up with it and prefer a bribe to grease the wheels than deal with red tape.

The pay is a concern but my girlfriend there says it should be about 40 to 45 USD an hour. I am concerned about rent though as it is not cheap.

Yes I will miss a lot about Japan and the grass is not much greener in Russia as far as quality of life goes but such is life

So...
Old

Summer coming to an end?

Posted 08-14-2011 at 06:25 PM by PrivateEyes

I just got back from a fifteen day excursion through some of Americana. There were some places I wanted to see that seemed to be essential sights for my bucket list. We saw Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone/Old Faithful, and the Grand Canyon, and a petrified forest. On the way back, we stopped to see a reproduction of the Parthenon in Nashville. Along with time spent with the family, it was an awesome vacation. A day spent resting, and tomorrow I will start setting up my classroom. I don't officially start back for two weeks, but other than this fifteen day vacation, I have done something school related almost every day this summer. Is that good or bad? I'm not sure.
Old

Wow. KARMA. No, Wait.....

Posted 08-12-2011 at 01:36 PM by Speced9

Seasoned teacher gives up self-contained classroom for resource. The same teacher gives up the "resource room" to the semi-seasoned teacher who was teaching in a storeroom. Instead, that teacher takes a corner of the library to hang their hat so to speak. Then, before summer is over, KARMA comes to town.

POWERS THAT BE take away the "resource room" from the semi-seasoned teacher putting said teacher

RIGHT BACK IN THE STOREROOM.

The room goes to another teacher for a new district program that is the pet project of the superintendent. This, of course, leaves me with the question-

If the seasoned teacher never would have given up the room to the semi-seasoned teacher to begin with, would the POWERS THAT BE have tried the same thing with the seasoned teacher?

Some would call that KARMA.

I don't.

I call it COWARDICE and BULLYING.
Old

Your 2011-12 Library

Posted 08-11-2011 at 01:01 PM by BookMuncher

Right now, I'm working on Finn's library because traditionally August is the month that I sort and resort books. It just feels right. I posted these thoughts on home/classroom libraries over at Paper Wings.

It got me thinking, when I was teaching I wish I would have done more with getting the kids and parents to give their home libraries a redesign. Being sensitive the fact that not all kids have a "library", I think it would have helped my call to read at home if they had a well-organized and inviting home library.

I know that when I encouraged them to make book nooks, some made amazing ones. But I think that it might be nice to encourage a library makeover. Maybe show some real photos on the smartboard and brainstorm about what makes them helpful to the reader?

Thoughts?
Old

Okay.....I think........

Posted 08-10-2011 at 03:27 PM by musicbug

I did want a change of pace, since I was displaced anyway, I decided to try a new grade level. A couple of years out of the loop gave me an itchy trigger finger. I took the first position that caught my eye a second grade....
I left home so excited to be teaching again, so I left the house without Sarge, and only had Cosmic Klutz and Super Teacher with me. I figured that we'd make out okay. Sarge hasn't been hanging around much so we'd let her know when we got back. Little did I know that was exactly what ST had in mind.

When I browsed the jobs, I was thinking fourth or maybe third, a little change. I was talking to the powers that be and they suggested a school that had a second and third open. Oh I don't think I can teach second without early childhood cert. I said. They said you've got elementary that's all you need. Okay I said. The excitement to be going back to the classroom was so great it took a walk in the cool parking lot instead of the steamy building before...
Old

Gearing Up for Change

Posted 08-10-2011 at 11:06 AM by Speced9

I have one week of summer left. No biggie, I'm ready to go, but this is my year of change. My classroom is now someone else's and some one else's job is now mine. So, I just thought I'd put a few thoughts down before it all begins so I can come back to read it in the future and laugh at myself for either being too naive, or cocky.

So, I've left the K-2 self-contained position and moved on to a resource position. I've been realizing this week that there are some things I won't have to worry about this year:

1. Setting up my room because I don't have one. I have a corner now in the library. Some have thought me insane for trading a room for a corner, but honestly, all I need is a place to hang my coat, and a place to hide while I eat lunch.

2. Trying to figure out what the hell I did with (insert important teaching materials here) in May. I won't go through that because, like I said, everything I have now fits in a corner. How...
Old

another day another date

Posted 08-10-2011 at 01:57 AM by Mr Sensai

Well another day another date.

So she is 15 minutes late and emails my phone saying she is sorry but her makeup is a mess and her hair is a mess too.

When she arrived she had the faint smell of sex on her as well. You know the kind of smell the sheets or room has after having sex.

I mean to me it was 95% obvious she had just finished a date or was with a guy at a love hotel. I had to laugh I asked her where she was coming from to be in that much of disarray. She thought for a moment and said the park. The park I asked? She said I mean the gym near the park. Oh which one? Ummm ahhh Jexter.

Yea she was not at the gym I think....

Needless to say I was not impressed with her and we had tea for 25 minutes and I said I had to get going.

Update on date from yesterday:

We were to meet this Sunday night but I get an email from her saying...
Old

2 more dates today

Posted 08-09-2011 at 07:27 AM by Mr Sensai

1.) Dated her before but things went good and no complaints. Things are moving forward and in the right direction. No great details to speak of though just good conversation and good food and a good time.

Who the hell is emailing my phone at 12:30am? Let's find out.

Ok it was just a drunken friend of mine rambling. Nothing that interesting just asking me if I was awake. Back to the blog now.

2.) Just a casual go out and have some beers and snacks date. Cool girl but more of the drinking buddy with benefits type which I have no complaints about. Average looks but her love and knowledge of alcohol makes up for that. Will meet again I think after work to drink.

I might pass her off to a friend of mine though as I think he might be her type. Dunno off to bed as it's late.