Oh how I have missed professional development days. - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Just where are the guard towers in middle school?

Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Oh how I have missed professional development days.

Posted 08-20-2010 at 07:36 PM by Hifiman

I'm barely back to work. The school year is brand new. And I've already had my first professional development day. Well, a few hours in the afternoon really. But I've missed them. I had almost forgotten how much fun they can be. Almost.

I found out a few days before the training that admin wanted me to attend. Fine. I need it. I've been out of the classroom too long. I don't want to mention the training here on my blog, but I was curious about it. I had never heard of it before. I Googled it on the internet. That's when the fun began. It reminded what I love so much about this profession - steal, tweak ever so slightly to repackage, and charge an arm and a leg to any district that's willing to pay. And this practice is encouraged! Whatever. I'll play the game since it's not my money being spent. Well, not directly, but this sort of fiscal mismanagement is largely why teachers like me keep getting laid off.

I rushed out of school to attend the training. I hadn't been to the place where it was being held, but I had Mapquested directions. They didn't do me much good. I was caught in the bottleneck of three schools in very close proximity to each other as parents were picking up students. I wasn't the only one. Half the participants in the training were struggling to get there on time. It had been scheduled too early in the afternoon. That's a forgivable mistake. The district office is the last place that would have any idea when the district schools let out.

I trainers were there. Two of the most pleasant people you'd ever be fortunate enough to meet. One came up to me big bright smile and told me that they would like everyone to sit in groups of four with people teaching the same subject matter. Unfortunately there were two sticking points with this. No one else was there who taught the same subject as me and I have an extreme aversion to strangers when I'm in a new social situation. No, I stayed put. Unfortunately Ms. Pearly Whites wouldn't accept that and directed newcomers to my table. Did I say she was especially nice? I was mistaken.

The actual training session began something like twenty minutes late, but didn't truly get rolling until ten more minutes had passed. Ah, memories. I can't remember ever participating in a training that started anywhere close to the listed start time. Fine. I'm Mr. Punctual, but I can take it as long as they don't extend it out. They didn't. It was completely unnecessary to do so because there didn't seem to be very much material to present. At least not from the trainers. I did however, learn a lot from Ms. Knowitall.

Ms. Knowitall is at every teacher training I've ever been to. Sometimes Mr. Knowitall fills in for her, but usually it's Ms. Knowitall that shows up. During this training she spoke up quite early to interrupt. She started off with her usual anecdote that doesn't really apply to the subject at hand, but that doesn't matter. It's more about letting us all know she's in the room and that she will be leading many future discussions that all end with some enlightenment as to how wonderful a teacher she is. She led many, many discussions. Well, not so much discussions as they were lectures. I do have to admit to one point of embarrassment though. I was referring to her by her maiden name. By the end of the training I discovered that she must've recently married. Her new name is Mrs. Knowitall - I'lltakeover.

I gotta say I'm old school. I don't like the hyphenated name thing. But marriage has been good to her. She's so full of the newlywed bliss that she fully took over the class at one point. I'm not talking about a long winded filibuster. She actually got up in front of us and lead the class for about five minutes. I couldn't believe it. Was this some sort of celebrity mole thing? Was this some district bigwig who had covertly infiltrated our ranks and was only now revealing who she truly was?

In all seriousness though I don't get this. It truly rubs me the wrong way. My school paid the district a small fee to book me a spot. My district is paying me an hourly wage to attend. The district must also be paying the publisher of this program to teach it and have us use its copyrighted materials. Money is being spent/wasted here. I kid you not when I say that I learned far more from my quick Googling of the subject matter before I attended the training. There just wasn't much material presented to us. But what little is presented to us I think I deserve to be taught by the people hired to teach it. If I'm supposed to buy into them being experts, then play the part. Control the class and please don't ever let Mrs. Knowitall - I'lltakeover start running the class. It undermines what we're all there for.

I can tell you this however. I want to get in on this. I've got to get back into school to earn my doctorate. I need those letters after my name that give me carte blanche to steal from others and sell it as my own brand education snake oil. I've already got some ideas I'm throwing around that will revolutionize teaching. I won't go into specifics, but two moneymakers I'm throwing around are Think-Meet-Share, and Ticket Through the Door. Ka-Ching!
Posted in Teaching Related
Comments 5

« Prev         Next »
Total Comments 5

Comments

1. Old Comment

ahhh p.d.

Sitting, listening, nodding your head and not coming out with even one smidgen of real information! If the taxpayers only knew how much $$$ is wasted on these speakers only to be taken over by knowitalls.....

Admin. should really just give teachers a half day to sit at the computer and google the latest and greatest.
  2. Old Comment

Ahh the joy of PD's

Today I also sat in on a PD at the school where I was contracted. I was really looking forward to it too because two of my friends put it together. The topic was technology, which I love and need to know/use more of.

It was startling at the wide range of abilities with the use of the common laptop. There were the Knowitalls, and the HowdoIturnitOns. Three hours of material that should have taken 1 at best, if the room was filled with Knowitalls.
  3. Old Comment

I gotcha beat.

Once again, we had a technology meeting where we had too many computers on the district servers and everything shut down. Our technology director was out of town, and everyone was trying to figure out what to do. We wasted an hour before they decided to reschedule it.
  4. Old Comment
    These trainings you go to always dumbfound me. Our district never has trainings from an outside source. We might have our own people lead something but that's about it.
    ~And I'm wondering if Ms. Knowitall relocated? I think I had her son in class last year...
  5. Old Comment

HAhaHA

Love when Mrs. Know-it-All got married and hyphened her name to include, I'll take over. haha because I do that kind of stuff sometimes. Not the take over part, but yes indeed, on the know-it-all part. I am usually so annoyed that I was made to attend that it is my form of engagement. We teachers are a special group.