Writing Workshop: The Essential Guide by Ralph Fletcher - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Creative Teacher

Rate this Entry

Writing Workshop: The Essential Guide by Ralph Fletcher

Posted 06-27-2010 at 04:44 PM by Mariely
Updated 07-01-2010 at 10:01 PM by Mariely

I absolutely loved reading the book Writing Workshop: The Essential Guide by Ralph Fletcher and JoAnn Portalupi. It has been a GREAT resource for learning how to implement a writing workshop into your classroom. Here are some of the things that I learned from the book:
  1. Kids need a regular and predictable time to write.
  2. Writing Workshop should be scheduled at least 3 times a week (preferrably 5 times) for a period of 50 minutes or more.
  3. Setup a place for writers to access writing tools like paper, pencils, notebooks, computers, folders, scissors, tape, stapler, dictionaries, thesauri, word lists, checklists, colored pens, etc.
  4. Create a comfortable place for writing.
  5. Create both short and long term goals for the writing workshop.
  6. Use a writer's notebook
  7. Write with your students
  8. Teachers should also keep a writer's notebook that they write in on a daily basis.
  9. Use read alouds to encourage writing and to set a basis for mini-lessons.
  10. Have procedures in place for when students finish their writing pieces.
  11. Start the workshop with a mini-lesson, proceed to writing time while conferencing with students, and then have a sharing time at the end of the workshop.
  12. Use conferences to determine future mini-lessons.
  13. When conferencing with students remember to: LISTEN, READ, UNDERSTAND, BUILD ON STRENGHTS, and TEACH ONE THING.
  14. Remember to keep conferences short. Try to confer with a total of seven to eight writers.
  15. The Writing Process is non-linear.
  16. Read alouds are extremely important. Make a list of 20 picture books you will read aloud.
  17. Encourage daily independent reading.
  18. Create an editing checklist that students will use to edit their work independently.
  19. Determine how you will assign grades for writing produced in the writer's workshop.
  20. Kids should be involded in self-assessing their writing.
This has truly been a resourceful book and one that I highly recommend if you are interested in implementing a Writer's Workshop in grades K-8. The book addresses all of these grades throughout.
Posted in Teaching Related , Writing
Comments 2

« Prev         Next »
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment

Thank you, Mariely!

Your blogs are a wealth of information that is organized and sequential. I have copied several of them. It is good to see you back on PT.

Ralph Fletcher is one of my favorite writing mentors. He has written practical, useful, and insightful books.

Keep posting!
  2. Old Comment

Blog

Thank you so much for your comment Sister Anne. I'm trying to update everything I can and add new material to the blog. I really appreciate your comment and support.

I love Ralph Fletcher too! He does provide simple explanations and ideas for writing.