Wow! I have a blog! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The Teaching Life of Me

Rate this Entry

Wow! I have a blog!

Posted 03-30-2010 at 04:01 PM by tangerine

What a surprise!

I hadn't expected to get a blog. I think it was over a year ago that I originally requested one. After some months went by, I figured it just wasn't an option anymore.

I'm the lead first grade teacher at a big elementary school in a small town in Virginia. Where I'm from is a bigger city with lots of small elementary schools, so this was an adjustment.

I love my job, though. First grade is the perfect place for me. I feel blessed to have a supportive Prince/VicePrince team and to have a beautiful school.

Spring is a weird time of year for educators. At least for me it is. My focus is split between getting the kids in my care to where they need to be so that they're ready to advance to the next grade level and to prepare for next year and the new batch of kids. It's the time where administration expects us to decide what needs ordered. It's the time where changes to the curriculum are being made to go into effect next year. Teachers approach each other about placements for the following year. Bookrooms need inventoried. There are a lot of assessments going on and a lot of IEP and RTI meetings. It's such a busy time. It's hard to remember to stay in the moment.

Tonight I'm exhausted because we had a field trip today. It went well, though it still is one of the most draining things for me (field trips, that is). For the first time ever, I had a lot more dad chaperones than moms. I liked that, honestly. The kids' behavior seemed better to me. They are a pretty good group behavior-wise. The best part was watching their faces and hearing all the "this is the best day ever!" comments all day. One of the wondrous things about first graders is that they are so enthusiastic about simple things and they love to learn something new.

I hope to use this blog as a place to put some of my thoughts about teaching. My husband can only listen to so much before he's had enough and honestly there are just some things he doesn't understand.

But for now....it's time for my soft robe and a snuggle on the sofa and no more thinking. Down time sounds good.

~Tangerine
Posted in Uncategorized
Comments 0

« Prev         Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments