Blog Entries - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Old

Merging of Blogs

Posted 06-27-2010 at 04:10 PM by Mariely
Updated 07-01-2010 at 10:02 PM by Mariely

Well, I'm starting to explore PT's new Blog space. I'm just trying to get familiar with the new settings. I will be merging some information from my old PT blog into this one. The information I will merge is useful tips, strategies, and ideas that I have used in the classroom and want to find in a convenient place on the Internet, hence this blog. I'll try to add other new posts about ideas I used this last school year and new ideas I'm planning to incorporate in the new year. Thanks for stopping by!
Old

The Tale of Erika Castillo, A Tragedy

Posted 06-26-2010 at 04:19 PM by BigwigRabbit

This happened more than 15 years ago. It still affects me today. The last thing I remember about Erika was her playing handball with the other 3rd graders. It was my first full year of teaching. She was a wonderful student: quiet, smart, well behaved. I firmly remember her hitting the ball, both hands entwined above her head with the effort. Nice memory.<!--break-->

The next morning, as I drove to work, I went through a strange fog-like cloud that smelled of smoke. I got a call about 30 minutes before class would begin. Come to the office, is what they said. The lady that had been elected to do the informing took me into a back room and told me there had been a fire. Erika was dead. Her cousin (who was also in my class) was not accounted for. I spent about an hour and a half wondering if I'd lost two. Finally they called me and told me she'd lived (the cousin). She was to have spent the night but had not for some reason. That was a bit of relief within the storm, but...
Old

I'm dorky so you don't have to be!

Posted 06-26-2010 at 10:48 AM by vateach

I thought I'd start a blog to help keep a record of the professional books I read so I can remember the ideas I want to use and where they came from. Hopefully by doing as a blog some of you may find books you are interested in, or ideas you are interested in if you don't want to read the books! Stay posted for the first books!
Old

Summer Vacation

Posted 06-26-2010 at 07:16 AM by seashell

I have been out of school since June 14th. My Principal told me after I packed up my room that I was to change grade levels and move to another hall. Well I am planning my Mom's 70 th b day for July 3. I have a dentist appt on Mon. I think I broke a tooth. I am taking my aunt to dr on Thursday. He wants me to move out of my room next week. Oh boy when will I have time ! I have a summer job also!
Old

I Really Am a Teacher. Really.

Posted 06-25-2010 at 04:36 AM by Hideeho

I just completed my second year as a non-homeroom teacher. I am beginning to better understand the term "displaced".

For 16 years, I was the captain of the ship and had a great time doing so. Even though I worked with other teachers to help educate "my" kids, I was the Big Cheese.

I "did" inclusion before it became the catch-phrase that it seems to be today. As a first grade teacher, my room was an inclusion room mostly by default. The district just didn't believe in identifying students with disabilities much before second grade.

Toward the end of those 16 years, students were identified more often. Our building also became the home base for our multiple handicapped students plus the students with behavior problems. Several of my kids in the last 3-4 years had many letters that went along with them -- LD, ED, MH.

Even though I worked with many other teachers, i.e. Title I/Reading Recovery, speech,...
Old

To a Tee

Posted 06-23-2010 at 09:15 AM by Speced9

I'm sure all of you can identify with this at one time or another- Summer break is upon us, but that doesn't necessarily mean that our minds are in a summer mood. I still get up at 5:30 am just like I always do, but unfortunately, I have a lot more time on my hands than brain activity to fill it. So, between the hours of 6:00 am and noon, my mind tends to wander.

After reading a post about our friend, Vistaprint, I though of an awesome t-shirt idea. Wouldn't it be cool to have shirts with each day's schedule on it? Besides the constant reminder, you'd never have to worry about what you're going to wear on any given day!

Well, that led me into thinking about some other shirts I'd love to wear to school just once.

Here's one to confuse the parents:

I think this one would crush any anti-teacher discussion at this month's PTO...
Old

Sour Lake Part 1

Posted 06-22-2010 at 03:53 AM by BigwigRabbit

OK. Time for another story. This one was inspired by this awful lake I saw a couple years ago in Yellowstone. The story is a love story, but it's a bit twisted (of course). I'll post pieces of it like I did for The War in the Garden. Hopefully I won't get impatient this time.<!--break-->

[SIZE=4]The lake was green, but not pretty green. It was emerald – not the color a lake should be. It steamed as well. The steam smelled of sulfur and it clung to the surface of the water as if it wished to pollute further. The lake also bubbled, gently in most places, but near the far shore it roiled violently from some subterranean source. It was a place of menace, uninviting and repulsive. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=4] Danae, Sheela, and I came upon the lake by chance while walking through the forest. We were all at camp for the summer and were bored already, even though it was only the third week. I liked Danae. I thought she was cute and nice. Sheela was Danae’s friend...
Old

What will mold my teaching for next year

Posted 06-21-2010 at 05:42 AM by reesespieces
Updated 06-25-2010 at 07:15 AM by reesespieces (adding)

Another year has ended and next year provides new students (1st graders!), new challenges, and new opportunities to be effective and meaningful in our practices. I have been completely wrapped up in professional literature because my students deserve the best teacher I can be. Here are some of the books I have read/are currently reading/are on order to guide me through preparation for next year:

Books on the Reggio Emilia Approach:
Beautiful Stuff: Learning from Found Materials
Designs for Living and Learning
Working in the Reggio Way
www.theprojectapproach.org

Classroom Management:
Punished by Rewards
Beyond Discipline

Building Community:
The Morning Meeting Book
The First Six Weeks of School (Thank you, Mrs. R!)

Classroom Organization:
Spaces and Places
Classroom Management in Photographs

Content:
Guided Reading
Making...
Old

summer goals

Posted 06-20-2010 at 07:51 PM by 4thGradeNV

I had a baby in April and decided that I was tired of my pants not fitting. I was doing Weight Watchers before I got pregnant, but don't want to start that until after summer is over. My goal is to lose 30 pounds, but I know that's going to take time and determination.

I started walking 2 weeks ago and have come to rely on my quiet time every day. I've been walking 2-3 miles a day...lately it's been more like 3.5. I even created a special folder on my iPod that has songs with a faster beat to keep me going. Yesterday I walked in a 5K and finished in less than an hour. I probably could have gone faster if I hadn't had shin splints for the first half of it. I'm wondering if buying a new pair of shoes would help or if I just need to deal with it. It was funny because tonight I didn't get shin splints at all. Maybe because I felt like I was walking in slow motion the entire way! Who knows.

Since I've started I've lost 4 pounds, so that is very encouraging...
Old
Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Like a Caffeine Addicted Hamster

Posted 06-16-2010 at 05:03 AM by Speced9

Chipmunks. They're small, cute and look cuddly (though I doubt anyone has been able to catch one for a quick hug). You can look at them and say, "Awwwww..." in the same way you gush over a newborn baby. Yeah. I used to be that way until I realized that they're just rats with a total body makeover. They're nature's smallest example of a wolf in sheep's clothing. They are the ENEMY.

Before I begin, I need to do a little something to satisfy the Blogging FCC. In order to have this post on the main PT blog page, I have to have this post categorized as teaching related. How do you categorize a blog post about chipmunks as teaching related? You start your post off with this:

I'M GONNA TEACH THEM VARMINTS A THING OR TWO!

There. Justification of categorization complete. Now, onward.

My first contact with chipmunks of...