Blog Entries - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Old

The Summer of Hifiman

Posted 04-10-2010 at 12:51 PM by Hifiman
Updated 04-10-2010 at 01:11 PM by Hifiman

Emotionally it's been a roller coaster since June of last year. Well, it's actually been a roller coaster long before that. I'm still trying to do what I can to teach once again. I spent last summer desperately hoping I would be called back to teach at the last minute. That's the way it worked the year before. School had been in session nearly a week when I received the call to teach. But no such luck this time. The call never came.

In the meantime I took the steps I needed to make myself more marketable by earning a single subject credential. It took a bit longer than I had hoped, which put me out of the running for several positions that came along. During this process I applied for absolutely every teaching job I was qualified for. Once in a while I scored an interview. Mostly I didn't. Eventually it became too late in the current school year to get any teaching job. My focus is now for the next school year. All the districts where I live...
Old

hiring another k teacher

Posted 04-10-2010 at 07:49 AM by lovkteaching

I am anxious for my school to hire the other kindergarten teacher for next year. I think it will wonderful to finally have someone with the same goals as I do. Kindergarten teaching is so different than any other grade.
Old

Student Teacher

Posted 04-10-2010 at 07:43 AM by KTeach_IN

I currently have a student teacher. She is wonderful! She has jumped right in and done a fantastic job! She only has two more weeks left with me. She will be teaching this next week and then the following week I will transition back into teaching. It has been a good learning time for me. She began teaching and doing many things as I had done. I could see from the outside what worked well, and what needed to be changed. She has slowly come in to her own style. I think kindergarten is a hard grade to student teach if you have not had many experiences in a kindergarten classroom. Just getting all of the million things you are responsible for each day and then trying to get classroom management with 5 year olds under control is a little bit of a shocker. She has learned so much and it has been my pleaseure to help her along the way!! Back when I student taught, I had a wonderful mentor teacher in my kindergarten classroom. I cannot thank her enough for all she taught me!! Thanks Mrs. B!! ...
Old

Testing can be funny!

Posted 04-09-2010 at 05:59 PM by liketeaching1

Did you know...
  • you put 10 gallons of milk on your cereal?
  • President Obama lives in a castle?
  • That an airplane is the closest thing to the earth?
  • The US is in the southern hemisphere?
  • That if you are given a choice of NH (not here) that it must be the answer ALL the time?
Yes, it is the only comical thing I can say. What exactly did I teach these kids? Could this be the ones that randomly pick up a pencil, fill in a bubble, and slam their pencil down?

And, did you know that MY state is now going to base 50% of ALL teachers' evaluations based on THE test?

I think I'll just move into that castle and live happily ever after! AND I'll have a huge bowl of cereal with 10 gallons of milk on it.
Old

Shopping at the Teacher Store

Posted 04-09-2010 at 02:14 PM by tangerine

I ventured in to the local teacher store today. It's something I rarely do because it's dangerous in there! There's always something I see that I want for my classroom. Spending $20 soon turns into $40 and then $50 and so on. Dangerous, I tell you!

But my DH had given me a gift certificate for the store back at Christmas. I have been a good girl and saved it. Today the boychild was gone for the day and the DH was at work and I had time to myself. Perfect time for the teacher's store!

I love roaming isle to isle and checking out everything. I saw some cool new games out there and picked up an "I Have...Who Has?" about place value. The kids will love that. I also replenished my supply of little things that I go through a lot of during the year - either at the beginning or throughout - like stickers for the behavior calendars and nameplates and labels and border and such. I got what I need to make a new batch of word books, too. Rather than...
Old

Oh no, it's Friday!

Posted 04-09-2010 at 04:20 AM by PrivateEyes

It's Friday, the official last day of spring break. Where has the week gone? The box of stuff I brought home from school is still in the car. The taxes still aren't done. My house could still use a major cleaning and I have laundry to do.

Well, I can explain why I haven't done school work. Our district generally gives us the day before spring break as a work day. We prepare our grades, make out honor roll lists, etc. This year they didn't. So our work day went away, but the work didn't. I sort of feel that the unwritten expectation was that either we would do the work before spring break on our own time, or we would give up part of our spring break to do it. So I'm in rebellion mode. And I know I'll pay for it later.

So maybe I'll go finish cleaning out the refrigerator.
Old

Day 4 and 5

Posted 04-07-2010 at 06:34 PM by Carolynn

Okay I am taking a temporary leave of absence! It was pouring rain for the last two days! I do mean pouring!! It may seem like a cop out but believe me it isn't. There's no way I can run out there...I'd drown! Stay tuned for tomorrow and keep your fingers crossed that it stays dry!
Old

Day 3: Listening

Posted 04-07-2010 at 06:32 PM by Carolynn

You must listen to your body. Run through annoyance but not through pain George Sheehan

Today I had to decide whether to listen to my body or my mind. My mind was telling me I had to run. I've set a goal to run for 30 days so I need to do it. My body though was saying that I needed rest. My legs hurt horribly. So what should I do? I decided to listen to my body and take a day off. I went for a long walk but I didn't run.

Although my body felt relieved my mind certainly didn't. My mind felt heavy. It really made me realize how much the mind controls your body. I should have felt good for walking but I didn't. I couldn't because my mind wouldn't let me. It wouldn't let me find joy in it. It made me think about how the students in my class that have physical needs of hunger, safety, etc. are experiencing this same conflict. Their minds may be saying...go for that goal, reach the stars, but their bodies are looking for other needs. They decide to listen
Old

Twas the night before...

Posted 04-07-2010 at 05:54 PM by liketeaching1

achievement tests when all through the school,
not a letter was showing,
not even a rule.
The whole school was covered with tablecloths and such,
In hopes that the kids couldn't see much.
When what to my wondering eyes should appear--
grumpy teachers and nervous anxious kids.
They sprang to their work
To the bubbles they sang
I'll do my best to give it a hang.
I worked all year to show that I've learned
what the standards and pacing guides proclaimed.
They spoke not a word and went right on
From word study to reading to comprehension.
With a sigh and a shrug it was decided
There is more to education than this test using my attention.
So off to the playground the teachers provided
the kids with an extra educational break that can't be called recess.
So I heard the kids say as they ran off to play,
This test has made our day a big mess!
We'll be back tomorrow
doing
Old

Live the life of an artist

Posted 04-07-2010 at 04:52 PM by BookMuncher

Instructions for living life:
Pay attention.
Be astonished.
Tell about it.

~Mary Oliver

This is a photo I took on one of the first real spring days this year. I'm finding so many helpful connections between art and photography and teaching writing. Authors and artists have to live in much the same way- with wide open eyes.

More than ever, as I teach I'm starting to see that sometimes it's not always about the craft of writing. The stand out pieces are those in which the writer noticed something seemingly insignificant and gave it meaning. The small moment that is truly small... the poem that zooms in on the tiniest or most ordinary objects. When I read adult novels and poetry, that is also what I'm searching for. My favorite authors are the ones who can shine a fresh light on something I've said or done time after time