Blog Entries - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Old

GLAD training

Posted 04-17-2011 at 02:12 PM by imalith

I'm starting GLAD training this week. I just went in and wrote lesson plans for tomorrow. Sure, I'm excited about the training, but it is a tough time of year to be out of the classroom.
Old

The Inevitable Happened

Posted 04-16-2011 at 05:55 AM by Speced9

It finally happened. Frustration got the best of me. After 16 years, I finally called out my classroom aide.

For those of you unfamiliar with my aide, you can get some background info by reading this past thread. For those of you who don't like clicking links in blog entries, I'll give you the short version.

My aide is a TERRIBLE LISTENER.

I've had sixteen years of experience working with an adult who doesn't pick up on the same directions and information that my K-2 students with disabilities do. Though it's a trite thing to say, I wish I had a nickel for every time she's asked me a question about something I've already gone over with the kids numerous times, or flubbed up a lesson for a child she's working one on one with.

It finally happened though. I went off the deep end. Annoyance and sarcasm came bubbling up and there was nothing I could do about it. I'm guessing that it's because this is my last year...
Old

Success!

Posted 04-12-2011 at 02:49 PM by Silverstar

Hooray for a successful day!

Even though we are 3/4 of the way done with school I successfully had a great day with 3 centers!

I have three groups of about 6 students (well 1 group was only 3 students due to having 4 absences!).
One station with me, one with my grandparent volunteer and an independent center.

We only were in these centers for 15 minutes but it was a successful activity such as correcting a sentence and re-writing and practicing proper letter formation. Another center was illustrating a poem we read together before the centers and with me a guided reading mini lesson with a decodable book.

Day one- good
we will see how day 2 goes with more students!

Wish me luck!
Old

Teacher Demonstration Time

Posted 04-12-2011 at 02:42 AM by musicbug

( With apologies to the Beach Boys. Thanks )

It started with the mass firings of CF teachers
Later on Wisconsin Bargaining woes
Educator frustrations fanned into flame
Teacher demonstration sparked
From California to New Jersey teachers felt so harassed
We marched on every State House Lawn in the land.

Well there are marches going on
There are marches going on
Teacher demonstration time

Teacher bashing headed viral all across the land
Papers, TV and the 'net just no escape on hand
No one really cared about it
It felt really great to roar, at those who taught us
And to settle up the score

America wasn't shocked by the bad economy
Balance it on the backs of the teachers
They have...
Old

Teacher Demonstration Time

Posted 04-12-2011 at 02:41 AM by musicbug

( With apologies to the Beach Boys. Thanks )

It started with the mass firings of CF teachers
Later on Wisconsin Bargaining woes
Educator frustrations fanned into flame
Teacher demonstration sparked
From California to New Jersey teachers felt so harassed
We marched on every State House Lawn in the land.

Teacher bashing headed viral all across the land
Papers, TV and the 'net just no escape on hand
No one really cared about it
It felt really great to roar, at those who taught us
And to settle up the score

America wasn't shocked by the bad economy
Balance it on the backs of the teachers
They have...
Old

Time to wind back up

Posted 04-08-2011 at 12:31 PM by imalith

I've been relaxing and really enjoying my spring break, but now I need to start to formulate my post-break, pre-testing plan of attack.

Once I get back the year will be CRAZY! My husband, also a teacher always says, if you haven't taught it before spring break it is too late. Well, I'm in trouble, because I have lots more to teach.

My schedule will be crazy. I have one week of teaching and then the next week is one entire week of training using GLAD strategies. So, I have one week to teach some critical components before our NWEA test the following Monday. Sheesh. I'm starting a poetry unit because there are always figurative language and poetry questions on that test. It is also a great time because poetry is simply fun and after some hard core research reporting and essay writing, short fun poems and word play are perfect to add some joy to the classroom.

I'm also teaching Greek Roots. I already taught Latin roots, so I'm going to redo...
Old

My District, In their Great Wisdom

Posted 04-07-2011 at 11:43 AM by BigwigRabbit

My district has decided to use the Value Added rubbish to evaluate teachers here. They've dressed it in a different gown and given it a new name, however. It still will use standardized test scores to evaluate our performances.

In this scheme, they assign a numerical value: positive, negative, or neutral. Isn't that nice? Students are now assigned numerical values. These values are then used to determine growth and/or growth potential (or lack thereof).<!--break-->

In order to arrive at these values, these grand and glorious [I]magi [/I]willtake several criteria into account. Some of these are: socio-economic status, English Language status, homelessness, and mobility (whatever [I]that[/I] means). Of course they cannot understand that they will never be able to account for all of the variables that can affect a student's score, such as family violence, family drug use, family apathy, et al, ad nauseam.

On top of that they have neglected to...
Old

Testing Fantasies- Part One

Posted 04-05-2011 at 09:27 AM by musicbug

Many of us are now judged as teachers by our student's test scores ( up to 50+%).Short of begging and prayers our tool box is quite bare to get student cooperation to take the tests. What I wouldn't give for student accountability.....
Unlike the government, I start cheap. The first is a tear sheet the child takes home that states.
Dear Parent: Each child was given ________ minutes to complete today's section of the test. You child _______________ started at _________ and ended at _____________.

Dear Mom and Dad: I finished my test. I took the test seriously and ended at ___________. I checked all my answers and tried my best.

Please sign below ____________________________

Of course these forms are filed in triplicate. One stapled to the test, one sent to the office and one for the parent to sign and return.

For the disbelieving parent..each child will b e required to stamp their test when finished with a computerized...
Old

Funny every year!

Posted 04-03-2011 at 01:14 AM by PrivateEyes

So, Friday, April 1st, I wrote down the homework assignment.

Reading: Read for 20 minutes. Record in Reading Log.
Writing: Write a 3 page story about the best present you ever recieved.
Science: Find 10 simple machines in your home. Identify the simple machine and its state of matter.
Social Studies: Write a report on Greece, Rome or Mali. Include illustrations.

Sternly, I reminded the students that there is no talking in the morning as they write down their homework assignments and begin morning work. As they finished writing down their homework, I went to each student, as I do each morning, to initial their planner. But Friday, instead of initials, I wrote down "April Fools!" and, after making sure they saw what I wrote, quickly shut their notebook.

Things I find funny, and charming.

1. The students rarely "tell" on me to other students. Each student is surprised, because...
Old

Who created the district calendar?

Posted 04-02-2011 at 07:38 AM by imalith

Surely anyone in eduction would not have the last day of spring break be on April Fools Day. It was hard enough to contain the Tsunami of energy of middle schoolers without throwing that into the mix. I had to untape the bottom of my mouse 3 times. Yes, that is "hilarious" I say in a sarcastic voice.

Regardless, I had a great week with my students. I merged my newly learned GLAD strategies with teaching Latin Roots. The cooperative group straties were fantastic and coupled with the individual accountability, made the lessons go well. It was fun to see the kids work with each other's strengths and weaknesses. One boy who struggles with transferring his ideas into writing did a great job with his group as they helped him with his portion. He still had to write, but they encouraged him to be successful.

After spring break we will conquer Greek Roots. I haven't decided whether or not to do the same lesson or to alter it to include a prediction...