Thoughts From the Recliner Part Quad - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Fear & Loathing in Special Education

Rate this Entry

Thoughts From the Recliner Part Quad

Posted 01-23-2011 at 10:41 AM by Speced9

Day six post op. Day six in a recliner. Day six of auditory and visual hallucinations. Day six of muscle atrophy. Day six of all-rest-and-no-play-makes-Speced9-a-dull-boy.

So what have I been doing? Well, for starters, I went on a teacher shirt design bender.

I hate to see such manic work go to waste. Please, someone order one of these and wear it to school so I can feel somewhat useful.

I've been taking pictures of my soulmate, the dog when I haven't been sleeping myself.

What are the chances she has been taking pictures of me sleeping? I'll have to find her iPhone and get back with you on that.

Then, of course, I've been on Facebook entirely TOO MUCH.

I think I'm posting my status about three times an hour on average. My "friends" have probably blocked my posts by now.

Lastly, I've been amazed at the continuing numbness around my incision. That's one of those common side effects of hernia surgery that no doctor will tell you about. When people undergo surgery for inguinal hernias, they often experience numbness just under the incision site. I must admit it's pretty weird. When I touch it, it's like touching someone else's groin. Does that constitute cheating on my wife? Anyway, they say that if feeling doesn't return by 6 weeks, you're going to stay that way. Yahoo! Half a numb groin for life! I'll have to make sure and hit the cross bar on the left side should I encounter any bicycling mishaps this summer.

There is light at the end of the tunnel though. I'm getting around well, and the GROINIFIDE swelling (I just made that word up. Credit me!) is under control. My game plan is to return to school next Wednesday. Given the fact that I have doctor's appointments on Friday, that'll give me a whopping two day work week to ease back into it.

My only concern at this point is my ability to keep from wincing when children give me a sneak attack hug and if walking around with an ice pack sticking out of my trousers is professional conduct. So, wish me luck. My groin will appreciate it.
Posted in Teaching Related , Life As I Know It , TMI (You Had to Be There)
Comments 0

« Prev         Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments