Back to the old! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The Miraculous Journey of...

Rate this Entry

Back to the old!

Posted 04-13-2010 at 03:09 PM by liketeaching1

Testing is over. Today was our first day "back" in the sense that our schedule was routine. We arrived to a relaxed classroom. Desks were back in our dining room style. Bookbaskets were in close proximity to everyone's desk. We could converse. We could relax. We could actually see something in the classroom besides covered up words, bulletin boards, charts, calendars,etc. Our specials were the usual 45 minutes at the usual time. We had a usual Reading Workshop. We had a usual morning meeting. We could sing a song to begin our day.

It is refreshing to follow a routine that we have grown accustomed to. I remember BookMuncher blogging about how important routine is. It is like a breath of fresh Spring air after a long dreary winter.

Routine is bright and shining. It is knowing that we are a family and we can rely on familiarity to find comfort.

How do I know that this is as important to the kids as it is to teachers? It was the smiles between us. It was the calm.
Posted in Teaching Related
Comments 2

« Prev         Next »
Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Today is my last day of testing. My poor little first graders! This is so hard on them, especially the way it is so contrary to the entire year thus far. Individual desks. Staying in their seats. No talking. No reading workshop. No outside recess in the morning. I know we will all be glad to get back to normal tomorrow!
  2. Old Comment

Love the Old!

My first graders just finished a show that is put on every May for parents. It includes many rehearsals,and a very in-depth science unit. Our schedule has been out of whack for the past 3 weeks. We can't wait for Monday to get back to our routine. I know how you feel!!