All about Purpose - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Run, Princess, Run

Rate this Entry

All about Purpose

Posted 04-03-2010 at 04:10 AM by Carolynn

I went out running for the first time since last summer. It was tough. Really tough. I have never found running easy. In fact it's always been the opposite. Six years ago I started becoming interested in running. I think because I noticed that the people I saw running every day seemed to know something that I didn't. They seemed obnoxiously happy. I was amazed at how they could get out there everyday and put one foot in front of the other. So I tried it. I soon discovered it was hard. Very, very hard. I started on a run, walk program though and I was able to run my first 5k. I was slow and at the very back of the pack but I did it! I thought that was it. I was a runner. However, since then I have started and stopped numerous times for numerous reasons. I was even part of a running group for awhile. I often regret having stopped going to that group. Yes, not everyone got along and yes, it sometimes used up more of my time than I wanted to give but I realize now that it had been worth it. It was worth it because it gave me strength. It helped me to get up and out of my house. It gave me a purpose.
Today when I decided to get up and start running, I started without much of a purpose. My only thought was I need to do something positive for myself. I only went around the block. Truth be told that's only as far as my legs could take me and I had to walk part of the way at that. As I was walking back to my house I stopped at my mailbox and inside was a postcard from a realtor. On it was the message: Easter is a time for new beginnings. Now I know the purpose of this card was to get me to think about selling my house and buying a better one. But I thought of a different purpose. A purpose for my running and a purpose for my life. I just read that the Dalai Lama thinks that the purpose of life is for you to find happiness. I was awe struck at the simplicity of this. Really? That's it? The whole purpose of my existence is happiness. How could that be? Imagine though that is the purpose. All I have to do is be happy. It seems like such a small thing to ask of a person. So here's my new beginning, my new purpose, and my source of happiness.
I am going to be picking a new habit to follow every 30 days and writing about it on this blog. In one year I am going to celebrate by running the Disney Princess Half Marathon. How could anyone not be happy being a princess? So for the first 30 days it is running every day. That's the plan. I just intend to get out there every day and move. I am so excited about this! It's real change for real purpose! I have always believed that kids need to know the purpose for their work. I am starting to see the significance for that myself.
Posted in Uncategorized
Comments 0

« Prev         Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments