In Defense of Teachers Everywhere - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Hanging In the Primary Wing

Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

In Defense of Teachers Everywhere

Posted 04-22-2011 at 03:27 AM by musicbug

What I wouldn't give to be able to send the following letter to parents everywhere.

Dear Parents:

It has come to my attention that there is some confusion as to how this whole "school thing " works. So we avoid misunderstandings, read and keep the following to refer back to throughout the year.

What Teachers Do?
Teachers educate between 20 and 35 children at a time moving them toward mastery of basic reading , writing , math, science , and social studies. Teachers work with the children in small groups to differentiate and enrich education experience.

In order for you child to benefit from the said instruction they need the following:

1. Parent Support. This is not as difficult as it seems. Check your child's backpack each day You will find all sorts of important information: notices, returned assignments, homework and communications from the teacher. To make it easy for you, it can often be found in nifty folders or binders ( that the teachers bought for the purpose in many cases). If you find a form that requires your attention it's because we need the information. It's no fun for your sick child to try to remember his phone number with a 102 temp. Homework isn't a punishment to you. In order for your child to ever master skills taught in school they must practice. In most cases this will only take about 15 minutes of your time to check that your child has made a good effort. An attempt shows me more than blank papers. When a teacher must send a communication you don't like, we most likely didn't like sending it.
It would be super if you make sure that your child gets a good nights sleep and eat regular meals ( breakfast and lunch is provided on site).

2. Respect for Education

Yes, school isn't always fun. It's not a video game or TV. It requires effort. Just like your child needs to practice her sport or activity of choice , they have to put their time and their effort in to what is presented. That means value has to be attached to learning. It must come from you, because the television shows you sit them in front of make smart people, teachers , and parents look like fools. Watch some of these shows if you don't believe me. Since most children can't tell real from make believe, you must insist that they try hard and learn. You are your child's greatest role model especially the same gendered parent. If you badmouth education , schools or the teachers don't be surprised when your child doesn't preform well.

These are things that you can provide. They cost nothing and will give your child an edge.

Dispelling the Myths

There are many myths surrounding education. As a service, I will take on the three most harmful.

1. Teachers are trying to get parents to pay for things that the school supplies.
Sorry to keep your taxes down, supply budgets have been slashed to the point where teachers are asked and/or required to send home those supply lists you hate so much. You don't even want to know what your child's classroom would look like if we did not spend money on the classroom.

2. A teacher won't take you seriously unless you go over their head.
Let's keep this one simple. If you talk to the teacher first the teacher will be more likely to work with you. Going to the principal first will only cause distrust and more convoluted way to get to the solution of the issue. When in doubt treat the teacher the way you expect to be treated by your clients.

3. I pay your salary ...do it my way.
Guess what.... teachers pay taxes too. We were hired to do a job, just like you were. We got the jobs because we got the training, just like you did. We respect your expertise, respect ours. Or do us all a favor, home school. I can't teach 35 different ways all at once. If you don't like what's going on, work to change it. Schools have parents sit on most all of the boards that pick curriculum, and form school policy. Taking the teacher on ( who by the way gets little to no say as to what is selected or what is going to be done) won't get you anywhere. The power isn't with the teachers.
We took this career on because we love children and learning, not because it is easy. We want all children to succeed. If you help, it just might happen, at least for your child.
Sincerely,
Your Child's Teacher
Posted in Teaching Related
Comments 7

« Prev         Next »
Total Comments 7

Comments

1. Old Comment
    My feelings exactly.
  2. Old Comment
    Too bad it can't be passed out the first day of school.
  3. Old Comment

in defense of teachers

Very succinct and oh so true. I actually think with some tweaking in the wording it could be sent home!

Who is the original author ?
  4. Old Comment
    Yeah, I would LOVE for this to be included in their Back to School packets.

*sigh* . . .returning to the real world . . .

Nevertheless, well put!
  5. Old Comment

in defense of teachers

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Linda/OH View Comment
    Very succinct and oh so true. I actually think with some tweaking in the wording it could be sent home!

Who is the original author ?
    I am. I only use my own musings unless otherwise noted like Teacher Demonstration Time.
  6. Old Comment

note to parents

I thank you so much for putting into words what we all feel. I can say after nearly 30 years of teaching, this really hits home more each year.
  7. Old Comment
    They really need to be told.Good job
    Posted 06-21-2011 at 12:02 PM by bookiegold4u