Workshop Wows & Woes - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Old

Flying or crashing? Well, I don't know...

Posted 09-13-2010 at 04:05 PM by nzkiwi

So have I flown or crashed?? Well honestly, I think the verdict is still out. Almost 3 weeks into the school year, I still don't feel like my feet are underneath me at all. Every day I deal with the feeling that everything is going to come crashing down, but somehow the day ends and I'm still aloft (if just barely).

Overall, I like my new school so far. It's much bigger and there's still days when the number of kids in the hallways just overwhelms me, but overall it's not that much different than the school I left. So far, probably the biggest two changes/challenges I'm trying to get used to are the class sizes & class lengths. My smallest group is 27, and the other three classes are 28 respectively. I'm teaching 3 science classes and 1 language arts each day and each period is an hour long. For science that seems to work well, but for language arts I'm struggling. I dream of having my 90 minute block back (which I've been used to for the past 4 years)! ...
Old

On the verge of an adventure

Posted 08-22-2010 at 02:37 PM by nzkiwi

Well, tonight I sit on the edge of a cliff. Hopefully tomorrow I'll fly, and not crash somewhere miserably.

Tomorrow morning I head to my new school for the first time (well, since the interview), see my classroom for the very first time, and about a half hour or so afterwards, get to meet my students too! 6th grade orientation is happening, and the principal has assured me everything is taken care of and all I basically have to do is be a body in the room, but it's certainly going to be interesting. I mean, I've never greeted my students in a strange room, feeling completely unprepared before.

From talking with the principal, it sounds like everyone is going to be very supportive and helpful, and I'm convinced I'll get through this week (one way or the other). Tomorrow, after orientation, I'll go and officially sign my contract, have the rest of the day and Tuesday to set up things in my room & look at the curriculum for the first time, and...
Old

Lots of excitement mixed with panic!

Posted 08-20-2010 at 05:08 PM by nzkiwi

So after several days of being in mental anguish over what in the world to do, I made my decision tonight. I got a call from the public school offering me the 6th grade language arts and science position I interviewed for earlier this week, and I accepted it.

It's almost funny how things work. Two days ago, my heart had decided to say no, if the job was offered, but after thinking things thru today, my heart began to settle on the idea that "yes" was the best option. I still someday want the adventure a position like Colorado would have offered, but my heart finally told me, I'm not ready for it yet. Instead, I'm going to teach where relocation isn't immediately necessary. My thoughts tell me: teach nearby, save up money (this position should be a significant raise), plan things out, and work on making the leap next year when it's completely on my terms—i.e. not an unexpected layoff and a scurry for last-minute positions. Where I really want be is abroad,...
Old

So torn...

Posted 08-20-2010 at 05:12 AM by nzkiwi

I'm waiting on a phone call. I interviewed with two schools earlier this week and they both said they'd try to let me know something by the end of the week. And with my old principal just emailing me this morning to say one of them (the one most ideal) just called her (she's one of my references), there's now this growing feeling inside of me that perhaps something might work out.

Of course, I'm not sure whether that would be a blessing or not. I'm soooo torn about what to do this coming school year.

There's part of me that says I should be grateful for a job and take the position (if offered). PROS: 1. it would teaching 6th grade science and language arts. 2. it wouldn't require an immediate move. 3. being a public school, it would be a higher salary. 4. for a public school, it sounds like a really good group of kids (i.e. principal said major discipline problems aren't very common) 5. the school seems really well-equipped (i.e. principal told me...
Old

Returning...

Posted 08-18-2010 at 01:42 PM by nzkiwi

So, yes, I fell off my blogging yet again. I think February was my last entry, and that was actually still in the old blog system. There have definitely been changes since I last put my fingers to the keyboard and typed here: some which I know have been good, others which I'm still trying to come to terms with.

For one thing, I'm no longer at the school that I used to be at. Less than a month before school ended, I learned my contract wasn't going to be renewed...lack of enrollment meant that there only needed to be one sixth grade versus two, and I was the one chosen to go.

After many tears, my heart began to tell me it was ultimately a good thing. There had been growing issues there for awhile, and I began to view it as perhaps a shove in a direction that I wasn't willing to go on my own. After all, for the last 4 or 5 years I've considered moving on, but just have never had the courage to do it (I loved my students and who I worked with).