This Whole PC Is Killing Me - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites

The Blog Of the Bigwig Rabbit

Rate this Entry

This Whole PC Is Killing Me

Posted 05-18-2011 at 09:37 AM by BigwigRabbit

Actually, this is an experiment. Anyway, My district is adopting the reading series [U]Treasures[/U]. Yes, that gives a huge clue as to which district I work for, but as some have found, a little sleuthing and one can figure out exactly who I am. Doesn't matter.

Well, I got a chance to look over one of the units in this reader. It's horrendous. Are they trying to bore the kids into failure? There is a story on saving the wild horses. Maybe they should have one on wild cows too? Perhaps saving the wild hamsters would be equally as riveting.

There's a big story on Martin Luther King. Now, I've got nothing against King. However, by the Fourth grade they've been doing songs and plays and books and shows and all manner of activities related to MLK. So why not choose another Civil rights leader? I'd think they would want to introduce the children to some lesser known, but still important figures such as the Tuskegee Airmen.

It seems that each successive text that this district buys is worse than the last. At some point they should hit bottom, but I fear they have done that already and are now digging.
Posted in Teaching Related
Comments 0

« Prev         Next »
Total Comments 0