The more you know... - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Adventures of 6th

Rate this Entry

The more you know...

Posted 03-25-2011 at 05:23 AM by imalith

the more you realize you know nothing. Socrates.

This is a quote that ran through my mind as I was listening to the presenters. The training was fantastic. Implementing a few of the strategies is great, but the actual GLAD program is all encompassing and could change everything about how you present your lessons.

What is GLAD? Best practice teaching strategies all rolled up into an effective method. Color coding. Effective visuals. Things we already know, but connected together to give direction and purposefulness.

One of my favorite parts was just the class rules.

1. Respect.
2. Solve that problem.
3. Make good decisions.

My favorite was "solve that problem". In my school, I've been enabling my poverty children by giving them pencils. Now I'm going to say "solve that problem". Okay, maybe it is too late for this year, but I'm going to do it anyway. They need to start to be responsible. Solve that problem is a stroke of genius. It always puts it back on the kids and helps them grow towards independence.

Color coding, quick sketches and academic vocabulary are all focuses. They create charts that are utilized for learning. A quote is "walls are dripping with academic language". This would be evidenced by the charts.

On the downside, it is lots of created work and forcing teachers to recreate lessons, but if they are effective, it is worth it. Many of the lessons are two-fold. They deliver content and basics. Teaching content and parts of speech together is an example.

I've only completed the first 2 days of the training. Later in April is a full week of training in which they actually pile us into a real classroom and we watch them use the program. That should be interesting.
Posted in Uncategorized
Comments 0

« Prev         Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments