ProTeacher Community - Reply to Topic

Home Join Now Search My Favorites

Post Your Reply!

pinacolada's Message:

He will be 5 on June 27.

Members have more posting options! Sign Up Free!
Random Teacher Question
Type a guest name (or sign up for a free account)
Descriptive Title (Please do type a title):

Additional Options
Not a member? See the great features you're missing
Did you know? ProTeacher is a FREE service

Discussion Review (newest messages first)
Kinderkr4zy 05-01-2019 08:15 PM

Sorry-just saw your reply. That link was from my phone and it always seems like links from mobile devices dont work

This one should work http://

The list of advocates is linked at the bottom of the page-its a PDF

pinacolada 04-27-2019 09:53 AM

Thank you! Can you please post that link again (it did not open)?

Kinderkr4zy 04-18-2019 05:50 PM

In the event you decide to go the route if advocates hereís a list of free/low cost advocates in CA


Kinderkr4zy 04-18-2019 05:33 PM

I have been pondering your post all week- I have also been considering using an advocate as well (also in northern ca).

I asked around to SpEd friends, teacher friends and all over and this is what I was told.

1. Before hiring an advocate call your SELPA program specialist.

2. Call your local dredft (disability rights education and defense fund) branch and see if they can help arm you with some info on the laws and what data they need to deny your requests or what data you need to prove the need for your request.

readandweep 04-14-2019 09:29 AM

Like PP said, I would also refrain from bringing an advocate to the first (or second or third) meeting.

I will echo a previous poster's advice to CALL an advocate, as they are often versed in sped law and district procedures. I have worked with parents who have done this and it helps ease the parent's fears and give the parents some structure about how to advocate for their children.

Does the district you are moving into have a parent mentor for parents of students in special ed? Our district has one of these. I can't personally vouch for them, but it might be a way to go if you cannot find a volunteer advocate.

Haley23 04-13-2019 06:54 PM

I would contact the advocate and see what they tell you about the law there. My state law is the same as the pp posted. Parents can choose to retain in pre-K, but by doing so you forfeit services. To continue receiving the services, the child has to go to K if they're 5.

If the advocate tells you it's possible to do what you want in CA, I'd go to the meeting and see what the school team says. I'd be prepared for them to try to convince you to send your son to K. If the meeting does not go your way, then you can try going the advocate route. I agree with the pp that it does set a tone that you may not want to set for your son's entire school career. I would try to work with the school on your own first.

heatherk 04-13-2019 05:45 PM

In my state, students who are 5 before September 30 (like your son) have to move to Kindergarten, without regard to their readiness for K or disability status. They cannot be enrolled in any public school preschool program. Not sure what CA law requires.

pinacolada 04-13-2019 05:00 PM

He will be 5 on June 27.

pinacolada 04-13-2019 05:00 PM

Itís SDC pre-k though.

Tsy2013 04-13-2019 03:51 PM

How old is your son?

dee 04-13-2019 12:52 PM

See what happens.
Your son may be having services for awhile, and bringing an advocate to the very first meeting sets a tone you may not want.

You can always use one in the future.

eeza 04-13-2019 12:38 PM

I'm a school psych in CA and I am under the impression that prek as well as kinder are both optional, so I'm not sure if they can prevent you from retaining him. This used to be the rule in gen ed and I mostly work with older kids, so I'm not sure if this is outdated info or not.

Also, if they refuse to retain him, you can always ask for an assessment. If he would benefit from an additional year of prek, then that data would support that. If you request that now, it should be done around the end of the school year.

pinacolada 04-13-2019 10:13 AM

My husband and I want our son to do another year of SDC pre-k through the school district.

A little background:
We are from CA but relocated temporarily for a year to NJ but are now moving back to CA in June.

The team from his school district in CA said they would review the IEP recommendations made by the district in NJ and then discuss what services they will offer etc. during a meeting with us. My son will not have any additional assessments after we move back to CA.

That having been said, if I want him to be retained, should I bring an advocate with me to the meeting or should I only get one only if they refuse my request and I have to call another meeting etc.?

Sign Up Now

Sign Up FREE | ProTeacher Help | BusyBoard

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:06 PM.

Copyright © 2019 ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.