ProTeacher Community - Reply to Topic

Home Join Now Search My Favorites

Post Your Reply!

pumpkincake's Message:

Check out the difference on your gas savings.

Members have more posting options! Sign Up Free!
Random Teacher Question
Type a guest name (or sign up for a free account)
Descriptive Title (Please do type a title):

Additional Options
Not a member? See the great features you're missing
Did you know? ProTeacher is a FREE service

Discussion Review (newest messages first)
pumpkincake 04-22-2018 02:44 PM

Check out the difference on your gas savings.

Maceola 03-27-2018 05:56 PM

money. But that's coming from someone who only commutes 10 minutes each way. You'll probably be able to negotiate a decent deal with your experience.

Is that $6000 a one shot deal? Because it may not look too great after taxes, travel expenses and car wear and tear.

megann831 03-26-2018 03:52 PM

I work in a very high paying district and I know of many teachers who have gone to other districts and negotiated what step they were placed on in order to get a comparable salary.

mrteacherguy 03-24-2018 08:36 PM

While there are certainly many benefits to the closer school district, I'm going to have to turn them down.

A difference of $5,400 is just too much to throw away, and right now my family needs that extra money.

At this point there's nothing left to do but pray that I get the math position I interviewed for, or that something else will open up in the district.

tyrex 03-24-2018 05:33 AM

Do the math on your gas savings. It will probably account for several thousand dollars.

mrsf70 03-24-2018 04:37 AM

The 5 minute vs 50 minute commute is huge and would make-up for the salary difference. Have you checked health insurance premiums? That could be a huge increase. Just good to know before you make a decision.

eeza 03-23-2018 06:35 PM

I think time is money and you'd be saving a lot of time per day by not being in the car. Also, there's the wear and tear on your car to consider.

You want math and it's a sure thing!

Let us know what you decide.

mrteacherguy 03-23-2018 06:05 PM

My current district pays higher than pretty much any other district in the area, however, I am determined to get out of my current content area (science) and get back to teaching math. I'm waiting on the possibility of a position at a different school in my district that I interviewed for. At the moment though, they're the only school in need of a math teacher for next year (my district is closing down and/or relocating a couple of schools due to shrinking enrollment).

I've also received an offer from a district much closer to where we live (a five minute commute as opposed to a fifty minute commute), for an 8th grade math position. The downside, is that I would be making about $3,000 less, not including my school district's highly qualified bonus of another $3,000. I just need to let them know early this coming week whether I'm accepting the position.

In other words, I can take a for sure math position in a much closer district and lose out on about $6,000 next year, or - assuming I don't get the offer from the other school - sign my contract with my current district and pray that a math position opens up somewhere between now and August.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Sign Up Now

Sign Up FREE | ProTeacher Help | BusyBoard

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:20 PM.

Copyright © 2019 ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.