ProTeacher Community

ProTeacher Community (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/index.php)
-   Magnolia Room (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Reading | Literature Parents and Teachers Working Together (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/showthread.php?t=333409)

funteacher7 05-27-2011 08:08 AM

Parents and Teachers Working Together

Does anyone recommend this book? I'm thinking of getting it to read this summer.

Mrs. R :) 05-29-2011 08:11 AM

Yes

It is one of the "core' books I use all year, every year. It directly supports two of our guiding principles;
  • Knowing the children we teach—individually,culturally, and developmentally—is as importantas knowing the content we teach.
  • Knowing the families of the children we teachand working with them as partners is essential to children’s education
I once was in the place in my teaching career where I rolled my eyes at parents, and felt unappreciated for what I do with their child in my classroom. Then I read this book and took a hard look at my practicies. Was this really exclusively MY classroom? Was I communicating positive news to parents about their child on a regular basis? Did I make an effort to behave as if I truly believed parents are partners in their child's education? Was that even part of my philosophy?

Once I answered those questions, my work with families changed. Yes, there are still some who don't believe in the Responsive Classroom Approach. Some still view "take a break" as punitive. Some don't understand "logical consequences". But overall, they feel connected to their child's learning. I know because I sent home surveys asking this very question.

I hope it helps you as much as it helped me! Enjoy!

funteacher7 05-29-2011 12:50 PM

Thanks Mrs. R! It's going in my amazon cart!

Mrs. R :) 05-30-2011 05:52 AM

You're welcome!

It's a great red... maybe we could create a group and do a little book study with it over the summer???

funteacher7 05-30-2011 06:55 PM

I would love to do a study on it!

Mrs. R :) 05-31-2011 12:57 PM

Cool!

I'll see what I can cook up. I still have 14 days w/students, so let me get through report cards and end of year stuff and I'll get something together.

BTW, my previous post should say "read" not red. Sorry.

nittanyali 06-16-2011 04:16 PM

I just bought this book, so I'd be interested in joining!

ICGr4 06-25-2011 06:02 PM

I glanced at this book online at Amazon, Nittanyali, and saw several other books on this topic. At home I have books that I haven't read that I had to have. So, here is my question. Would you both recommend this as one to read? This year I became aware that although I'm good with the children, I'm not as comfortable dealing with the parents.

nittanyali 06-26-2011 12:49 PM

Still awaiting the book's arrival...

I can't recommend it yet because I haven't been able to read it. I first ordered from Barnes and Noble online, but it wasn't going to ship until July 7th. I recently ordered from Amazon and it should be here next week.
I haven't been disappointed by any book I've purchased that's been published by NEFC, so I think it will be helpful. I think that improving relations with parents will be one focus of my PGP this year and I'm hopeful that this will be a good resource. :)

ICGr4 06-27-2011 10:52 AM

Thanks everyone. I ordered it today from Amazon and would be interested, Mrs. R., in a study of it.