ProTeacher Community

ProTeacher Community (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/index.php)
-   Classroom Management (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Classroom Management Out of control 2nd grader (kicks, cusses, etc.) (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/showthread.php?t=437677)

ortiz058 11-14-2012 06:37 PM

Out of control 2nd grader (kicks, cusses, etc.)

I am a support teacher at a school. For an hour, I take 10 second graders from a second grade class and bring them to my room. They are all English Language Learners and I teach them ELD.

The problem is a couple of the students are the worst behaved kids in the class. My main problem is one student who:

-Screams and yells and won't stop. (almost every day)
-Will kick the chairs and stand on the table.
-Threatened to stab a classmate with a pencil
-Grabbed another student and wouldn't let go (left red marks)
-Kicks students as they are walking.
-Yells out cuss words (the other day, he came in and started shouting the following: f*ck off everyone, motherf*cker, a**hole, go to hell, and he wouldn't stop.)
-rips papers

I send him to the office when it gets to the point where he is disrupting the other kids from learning (which is almost every time) but I can't send him to the office every time. I am so frustrated because the other kids can't learn and they are frustrated too. There is also another problem student who repeats some of the similar behaviors such as cussing and yelling.

I am going nuts. The principal said she will come get him when it gets bad but it is bad almost every day. I'm not getting too much help from the main teacher. She just says write down what he does. Also he is on medicine.

Any ideas to help me out?? Thanks.

Oh and I was doing a ticket reward system to praise when they did well but i stopped it because it wasn't helping much and they kept asking for tickets. I changed it to where they have to earn 25 points as a class and they get points when everyone is doing the right thing and behaving correctly. But of course, it is hard with the problematic students.

BlueLupine 11-15-2012 07:52 PM

Iep

Oh man, what a tough situation to be in! Could you advocate for the student(s) with possible emotional-behavioral disturbances to be evaluated for additional services?
Ask the student's family for ideas they use at home, and try to find out what kind of incentives he might actually care about?
I would also rethink the whole class reward - from my experience there are few things students hate more than being punished by the behavior of others.
Wish I could be more help, hopefully you'll get some other responses.

schoolbells 11-16-2012 07:51 AM

Disruptive Students

Wow! Have a conference with the child's parents. They are partners in the educational process. Develop a behavior plan that starts with the most problematic behaviors. Consider cuss words: Observe and determine - What happens before the child decides to engage in this? Is he in a bad mood when he shows up? From this you can determine your next course of action. If it's partly academic possibly modify his assignments. If he shows up in a generally disruptive mood when you meet with the parents share what's happening with them. Next, how is your relationship with him? I know from experience, I started to strongly dislike the disruptive student. I had shared my bell collection with the class. They were on my desk and he was seated nearby. Of course he reached over and pushed one of my bells on the floor and it broke into pieces. I had to separate the behavior from the child, but it was challenging. Anyway, I shared with him how that made me feel and sought to improve the rapport with him. In addition, I realized that I needed additional support, so we pushed for a Therapeutic SS worker to help him stay on task and avoid disruptive behavior. He was also on a daily home reporting system. This was set up during the meeting with the parents. Our school Climate Manager facilitated the meeting because his parents had a history of being difficult when addressing their child's behavior. We developed a list of strategies to be implemented right away to change that behavior. For example, he was rewarded immediately thru verbal praise for not calling out. He earned points for keeping his hands away from others and was allowed computer time for 7 minutes or so. If he chose not to change the targeted behaviors, I would remind him that he's making a decision to not comply and I'd remind him of the consequences and give him a final opportunity to decide to change. I'd do this as privately as possible, so that he did not have an audience. This sometimes made his problematic behavior escalate to a power struggle between him and I. Eventually, with the assistance of Climate manager, one-one worker, parents, behavior plan, counselor, and peers, his behavior improved enough to get through a day without a major disruption. Thank God for June.

Hope this helps!

EarthMonkey 11-25-2012 10:54 PM

Is it possible that you could have him come on his own instead of with the whole group?

Has the main teacher told you things which work with him in class?

I would take little trouble maker and put him on his own system separate from the rest of the group. When he is doing well the whole class does well and make sure the rest of the kids know it was LTM that got them the points. When he is making trouble have a private consequence for him that is separate from the group. If he draws down the whole group's rewards so much you can end up losing the whole group which is a b**** and a half to solve.

What kind of consequences are you giving him? Are you making it clear the consequences are his choices that have gotten them? Have you talked to the parents?

subczy 01-11-2013 08:37 AM

risk

because he is a physical safety risk to the other students i would absolutely call the P down each and every time this student is exhibiting unsafe behaviors.

he may be on meds but they arent' working!