ProTeacher Community

ProTeacher Community (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/index.php)
-   Substitute Teachers (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   What does it take to be a "requested sub"? (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/showthread.php?t=161613)

beanie 06-02-2009 07:34 AM

What does it take to be a "requested sub"?

Thank you for the responses.

MikeRocode 06-02-2009 09:59 AM

ojt!

Experience and OJT (On the Job Training).

If you follow the lesson plan, do a decent job with crown control and don't royally "Frack-Up" (see the thread on language") too many times, you'll get on the lists.

yoohoo 06-02-2009 11:35 AM

it also helps if you get your name out there---talk to the teacher; chat it up with the aides and secy's even the janitors (you never know when you're going to need a door unlocked)....

Barclay 06-02-2009 12:07 PM

Really helps if you are related to

someone in the district :) Said with tongue in cheek, but not really. Teachers, secy"s, principals call/request those people they know...

qudiva 06-02-2009 01:06 PM

What worked for me. . .

Do exactly as the teacher's plans says; Learn all the kids names and develop a relationship with them (teachers like who their kids like and were good for);have good classroom management; start AND finish whole activities instead of starting a bunch of stuff; leave a clear concise note on what was done, what was not and any thing out of the ordinary;mark any papers that you think you can in a manner that the teacher would want ANDDDDDDDDDD fly under the radar. I smile - I say hello - I compliment if I really mean it but THAT's it. I come - say hello - do a great job - leave the room as I got it - and say good night. Teacher's always call me back and request me. I worked everyday accept 10 this year. The more teacher's got to know my work ethic - the more jobs I got.

thordau4 06-03-2009 05:25 AM

I get requested by ONE teacher. I did a 5 day assignment with her little darlings and she has requested me since then. Oh, did I say little darlings? I meant HS Sped remedial English. They are among the most difficult in the district. For some reason I click with them. I'm able to be patient.

and what qudiva said!

Diana in OR 06-03-2009 07:24 AM

I made business cards

My cards are simple with my name, grades I sub, and my sub ID number. Since we use an automated system, the teachers need that to request a sub.

I have gotten quite a few jobs this way. My own 2 kids are in two different schools in the district I sub, so I took the cards to parent-teacher conferences and handed them out to their teachers. I don't know if that was tacky or not, but I am now a regular sub for several of their teachers.

Also, email everyone you know and let them know you are subbing. You never know when someone has a cousin or friend that teaches.

TeacherCarrie 06-03-2009 07:28 AM

To be frank...b/c I had only one sub I request out of however many have been in my room...

I want the sub to follow my plans and fill in holes if need be. Sometimes kids finish early and then subs can play a game or read my back page where I list what they can do if they finish early. I am tired of subs not reading the first part of my plans where I ask (in bolded and underlined letters) that they leave me detailed notes about the day. I have only had one sub do this. The rest of the like the leave right as the kids do.

I want subs who don't sit at my desk all day. My kids tell me this all the time. Many times my kids tell me that the sub talks on the phone the whole time.

GreyhoundGirl 06-03-2009 10:00 AM

CLASSROOM MANAGEMENT! :)

Also, please follow my plans (to a point), have good control over the class, and leave me a note about how the day went, have good control over the class, play nicely with the other teachers in the building(they will talk about you the next day ;)), have good control over the class...

You get the point! :p

Amberlee 06-03-2009 10:41 AM

Requests

I don't know if it's ironic, but so far the classes I've had the best time with have been the ones that I get requested back with for the most part (other than the example I posted earlier this week). It tends to be grades 4 or 5.

I think sometimes you just CLICK with a class or grade level and the students and teacher realize this.

Also, all the classes I got requested back in had aides, so make sure you are friendly to the paras!

I leave business cards too, a detailed note and make sure the next day is prepped and ready to go for when the teacher returns (part of our job in this district is ensuring the next day's dayplan/prep).

YILuv2Teach 06-03-2009 12:16 PM

Amberlee- I agree with you. I make sure to follow the lesson plans and leave detailed notes in every class, but it's usually just like you say in that it's the ones that I really click with that I get asked back. It may also have something to do with, that I don't always leave my card if it's a class I didn't like :)

Hermione_S 06-03-2009 03:44 PM

make yourself familiar

My experience tells me that if you keep going to the same school or schools instead of spreading yourself out over a bunch of schools, it will take less time for everyone in the school to get to know you. Your face and possibly your name will start to stick in their minds.
Sometimes it takes more than one or two visits to a building before they realize you exist. Sometimes it takes 10 visits. If they don't see you a whole bunch, they might act like you don't exist, because after that day, you won't in their eyes. People in schools are very occupied with their own tasks and problems. On the other hand, I have heard that in some schools the teachers and principals make it a point to keep their eyes open for subs who are on the ball. It depends on the school.
Make yourself familiar. Also keep in mind that some schools never request subs. They are just glad to get anybody to fill in and don't think about making specific requests. And then you have teachers who are so busy, they don't have time to think about who was there last time and what they did, so they just make the request for the sub and get who they get over and over again all year.

skmusicgirl 06-08-2009 08:39 PM

What works for me...

1) I leave a detailed note about the day/class/whatever. The good stuff as well as the problems. I am also honest - if I made a mistake, I want the teacher to hear it from me, not blown out of proportion from one/group of the students.
2) I say hi to all adults. I've been requested back because I made an impression with parents! Just acknowledging their presence will start a conversation. It doesn't have to be long (I'm very shy around my peers, so it's a challenge for me) but it's been one of the most beneficial things I've done.
3) If you have a chance to visit the staff room or talk to the secretary (or principal, as they still think they're in charge :) )... for the same reason as above.
4) Leave a business card. If you return, but it's been a while, leave another one. If they have 2 of yours, they can take one home for sick days. If they don't keep them, it's another reminder.
5) Accept jobs from all places. My degree is "for" HS band, English, but I've done most of my subbing for a K teacher this year. And now that the kids know me, it's a lot of fun!
But, in the end, be yourself, and fly under the radar for the most part. Do what you're asked to the best of your ability.
Sorry for the ramble!

J.N. 06-30-2009 04:49 PM

Well, I do the things mentioned above. I leave detailed notes. I follow the plans accordingly. I leave the room nice and neat. I have a good rapport with the students (although I have had students that sucked every ounce of patience out of me!). I leave business cards. But, I don't get teachers calling me back. I THINK I'm doing a good job, but I don't really know what the teacher thinks. I start to wonder if it's me (I get insecure) or if some teachers just don't need subs that often. ?????

lamaestra 08-15-2009 09:19 AM

Dear J.N. during the past 6 years when I was a full time teacher I would get 10 leave days and I would usually only take 5 or 6 our of those 10 days. I know some people may take all their days and then some. Do not get discouraged if your do not get called back.

I used to request subs who my students said had good classroom management skills. Students would tell me if they had disciplined students I know were disruptive. Also I would call back a teacher who followed my lesson plan and got most of what I had left to do.

As an unemployed teacher looking to sub for the very first time, I need to remember those things I liked in the subs I had.

Wish me luck landing sub jobs.