ProTeacher Community

ProTeacher Community (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/index.php)
-   Retired Teachers (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   I just became an antique dealer! (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/showthread.php?t=546987)

blueskies96 12-13-2015 08:15 AM

I just became an antique dealer!

I finally got a booth in a local antique mall. I have been wanting to do this since I was in college when we would go to antique malls on weekends. I wanted to live in Quantrills in Lawrence, K S.

Anyway I specialize in vintage kitchen items and agricultural items. I figure if I make enough to pay for insurance and keep gas in the car, it will be a success.

1956BD 12-13-2015 10:00 AM

Good luck!

Be careful selling antiques is addicting. You can end up buying more than you sell. :D

timeforbed 12-13-2015 10:17 AM

antiques

Love the idea! I always like to explore the various antique shops around here in Georgia and in Maine. Happy hunting for things to sell. :)

2grade 12-13-2015 10:50 AM

What a fascinating new "career"! I wish you every success. :)

Kyotodeb 12-13-2015 12:28 PM

So happy you are able to do something you enjoy!! That is truly what retirement is about!

twinsister 12-13-2015 03:23 PM

Exciting!

You are going to meet so many interesting people while you are working your business! I wish you well in your new venture.

My dad started collecting antiques when he retired back in the early 70's. He would go to farm auctions and buy large boxes full for little money. Most people considered that old stuff junk, but he loved it. He was not a collector of one or two items. He collected it all...sleighs, .sleigh bells, crystal, depression and carnival glass, furniture, paintings, kitchen and barn items. He loved it all. One big difference for him vs you is that he wouldn't get rid of anything. He died with an entire house and garage (next door to ours) filled to the brim. My mom had a big job years later with a huge auction. People came from miles around.

Renea 12-13-2015 04:17 PM

I could easily join you. It sounds like you're on the road to much fun!

MaryMac 12-14-2015 04:59 AM

I love vintage kitchen things! Good luck on your new and exciting venture!!

kidsrterrific 12-14-2015 10:08 AM

Awesome! My husband and I love antiques. In fact we just moved into a home that was built in 1878. Lots of fun and good luck to you!

cyclones 12-16-2015 06:18 AM

Congratulations!

Wandering through antique stores and malls is my favorite hobby. I hope you have great success with your booth. :)

blueskies96 12-17-2015 06:43 PM

I went to an auction on the rainiest day and filled my pickup with stuff for 40.00. I found lots of goodies! Some tools and equipment that husband says is valuable. I found a 100 year old toy among other things. It's very addictive but cheaper than therapy.

It must be genetic, my brother has a booth in Illinois with farm signs and farm related things.