ProTeacher Community

ProTeacher Community (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/index.php)
-   Special Education (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Classroom Management Slow poke (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/showthread.php?t=643690)

DeDee76 11-19-2020 03:22 PM

Slow poke

I teach high school life skills. This year I have a student who is really slow at everything (eating, walking, doing her work). I'm trying to give her enough time but also trying to teach her responsibility. I don't want to be unkind but I want her to be more independent. Any suggestions?

pdxteacher 11-19-2020 08:49 PM

Visual timers? A checklist for items to be completed before time is up?

I did have one student who was also very slow at everything - I started sending him to his next class five minutes early because he just wouldn't/couldn't move faster. That's the way it goes sometimes.

Peace430 11-24-2020 07:14 PM

in response

If this student is orthopedically impaired he/she might not be able to move any faster even if they wanted to. I have lived with physical impairments all my life and I have to frequently remind people I have one speed. My body won't allow me to move any faster especially now that I'm in my late 30's. Wished more of my teachers took it into consideration when I was in school. Even with an IEP with accommodations I always had that one teacher that didn't get it and my mom had to make calls to keep me put of detention for tardies. I have students that take forever as well and sometimes you just have to meet them where they are. Take baby steps and work on executive functioning skills. Visual timers do help. I have clocks all over my house for a reason.

whatever 11-25-2020 11:05 AM

It is tough for me as well

I just want to prod them along and have to fight over-"helping" them myself. We just have to remember that some kids just have a slower processing speed--some kids struggle with latency issues. Who knows why... it's just how their little brains work. Since it happens for her with academic and non-academic tasks, I would say that she may not be able to help it.

Since you know this about her, I would keep reminding her verbally as well. It may take a while but you will need to be patient with her.

Break down tasks into smaller chunks--especially with independent work. Fold the worksheets in half or say 'Do the problems in the first row.' 'Write to this spot.' Do the next one, do this ___ next, 5 more minutes, 3 more, 1 more minute... It may help with transitions too.

I agree with visual timers, visual schedules, checklists, etc. Also, remember to slow your voice down when you speak to her. The average adult generally talks faster than the average kid can process (I forget the numbers...) Since she is slower still, it may take you slowing down and keeping the information short. Give her one or two pieces of information at a time.

Once she finds her pace, gradually shorten the times or increase the workload. Adjust like you would for any goal.