ProTeacher Community

ProTeacher Community (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/index.php)
-   Paraprofessionals (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=151)
-   -   Other student messing with my job security (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/showthread.php?t=517290)

twin2 12-11-2014 08:18 PM

student messing with my job security

Yes you read that correctly. My student, my one on one student is working me right out of a job. Last year he needed constant supervision, had many meltdowns and needed lots of prompting through the simplest of assignments. He is considered nonverbal but the language piece is finally coming together. He has rarely had a tantrum this year. He responds to gestural prompts to do much of what he needs to do. He can walk in line with his class this year though he needs lots of.prompting to stay in line. He has even spent a few lunch.periods without one on one supervision.

Yes I hope this child continues to grow more and more independent but what if he is not allowed a para next school year?

Oh dear, just read this. It sounds like I am complaining. I am not. I am tickled this student has shown so much growth. I love that the communication though prompted is developing so rapidly. I am excited that we are truly working on academic skills beyond what he did last school year. He is beginning to participated in small groups with heavy prompting. I am excited that he is growing socially. He is learning classmates' names. He is learning to say hi to them and use his ipad to ask them prompted questions. He is learning to say hello to staff members in the building. He is learning to say "thank you". Sooo much growth.

thesupersub 12-12-2014 12:32 AM

confused???

How is you student negatively effecting you?

dee 12-12-2014 02:04 AM

Revel in his success!

There will always be more students! Congrats on a job well done!:)

Lakeside 12-12-2014 04:28 AM

Don't worry. If this student "outgrows" you, it will only show how great you are! You won't be out of a job, you'll get a brand new student to help.

kahluablast 12-12-2014 04:57 AM

That is wonderful!

There will always be someone to replace him. It seems like the number of kids who need additional assistance is increasing daily.

twin2 12-12-2014 10:07 AM

suoersub

He is not negatively affecting him. Lots of progress. I am being sarcastic...if he doesn't need me next year, will I have a job?

thesupersub 12-12-2014 06:30 PM

Is you job on the line???

There will be other students for you to inspire... your job will be safe ( just keep up the good work)

twin2 12-16-2014 07:54 PM

Really I am just amazed at his progress. I knew he was ready for more but did not expect to see such so much progress in so little time.

Agent99 03-14-2015 04:46 PM

That is wonderful growth, but I seriously doubt that he will be without a para that soon. I have been para to students that lead me (I'm a sub though). I have one student that I love subbing for who has Asperger's. He is amazing. I just feel like a shadow! Sometimes I wonder if I am there to keep him from being bothered by the other students! Like a guardian??

I think you probably have a few more years. School tend to stay cautious. Enjoy your student.

twin2 03-16-2015 11:54 PM

I have been told by his special education teacher that they are trying for a classroom para for him. This way, he will still have support. Basically he will be priority and there will be assistance from that para for other students who have an IEP.

He has had some difficult days. We had a lot of snow days, and he challenged us when he could not get what he wanted. He is doing his work, but he needs a lot of prompting. He has checklists for everything, but has to be prompted to go down the list.

We are pushing him to communicate more, but almost everything is prompted. I am concerned how he will do with a classroom para, but am sure he will not be ignored if he is the least bit off. Our class sizes are small and our IEP students for this grade of students are not very severe at this time. That said, the classroom para can focus on him if that is needed.

SpeedLimit62 05-12-2015 03:56 PM

Were you hired specifically to fulfill para IEP minutes for this student? Are they "dedicated" or "shared" minutes? Just today I had an IEP meeting for one of my students that had a "dedicated" para all day long. I changed this from dedicated to shared minutes and decreased the amount of minutes that she was with him per day. The student was making great growth. When a para is with a student constantly I believe they should have such significant needs that they are unable to be alone, without major complications. For example, if the student has a medical need that where their health or safety is in jeopardy then I believe a 1:1 dedicated para could be necessary. However if like your student he is growing majorly and he is starting to use the supports in place independently... the first step would be to change it from being a 1:1 dedicated para to a shared or classroom para. That way you are there in case something goes wrong and you are still there for support... but you can help and work with other students as well.

Keep in mind that if the IEP is changed and he does go from having you to himself, to just having a classroom para.. that if something happened and he didn't do well the IEP could always be revised. Hopefully good data is being taken on both sides. Data that shows it's time to give him less support and then data showing the classroom para for support is effective.

Even if you lose him as a student and for some reason they don't have another student for you with IEP minutes to fill. You will have the success from this student as data and evidence of the results you helped to produce. When you go to the next school looking for a job, be sure to bring it up and tell everyone how successful you were with your current student!

twin2 05-12-2015 06:26 PM

I have not heard a final decision on the matter, but it looks as though this child will have a classroom para next year. I am giving up my position at the end of this school year, so this child will have a different para, most likely someone he has at least seen from our building.