ProTeacher Community

ProTeacher Community (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/index.php)
-   Middle School/Jr High (6-8) (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Classroom Management Complete and utter apathy (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/showthread.php?t=610918)

mrteacherguy 10-23-2018 01:52 PM

Complete and utter apathy

I realize that apathy in general is part and parcel with teaching middle school, and that it being a poverty population compounds that, but the 7th grade group we currently have takes it to a whole new level.

We regularly have between 10 and 15 kids in lunch detention everyday for disrespect and/behaviors, but more often than not itís from the same pool of high flyers; losing lunch and recess with their friends doesnít seem to phase them.
Removing them from class and sending them to RTC (Responsible Thinking Classroom) doesnít work because itís the same ones time after time, and some of them want to get sent out and will do whatever it takes to make it happen.
Calling home has very little impact, often times resulting in little more than the parent saying ďIíll talk to themĒ and the behaviors continuing.
Grades only matter to those that care about their learning, because most of them have learned that they can fail all of their classes and they will still be passed on to the next grade.

In the face of all this lazy-I-donít-care attitude, how are we supposed to have any impact? Iím spending all of my time dealing with behaviors and putting into place different incentives, and none of it seems to make any real difference. The students that do care are getting shortchanged if not outright deprived of their learning.

mrsd5 10-23-2018 04:17 PM

I hear you!

My last year of teaching was sort of like this. Most of the classes were decent. But one class was awful. I could have written your post. I subbed at the high school today and had several of those "underachievers". Guess what?! They. Have. Not. Changed. AT ALL! They are juniors now. They have 1 1/2 years to mature. For four of them, I don't see it happening!

MrsPhysics 10-23-2018 05:26 PM

I donít get it either

I usually teach HS but now 2/3 of my day is at MS. I am used to apathetic high schoolers, but typically those students donít bother anyone else, and they do receive the consequence of not getting the credit and needing to take summer school.

What I am seeing this year in MS is astounding to me! I have students who have had as many days in ISS and OSS as in the classroom. And thank goodness, because they are so disruptive to the classroom environment that I find it hard to teach at all when they are there. My colleagues and I were just remarking in how many we have who are failing too.

I know that most parents are trying their best to be good parents, but it really frustrates me to see kids who are in trouble still playing on their phones and talking about gaming with their friends. My kids know that if they ever got in trouble they would be grounded from technology for a long time! That may have something to do with why they never get in trouble...

Reminds me of a while back, I had a really difficult 8th grader who kept getting in trouble all year for more serious offenses. The school had a big trip to DC that he was unable to go on because the rule was 5 serious write-ups and you were out. His parents decided they felt so bad for him that they pulled him out of school for the entire week before the trip (so that he missed even more school) so that they could take him on an identical trip themselves. I cannot believe that they didnít let the school consequence stand!