ProTeacher Community

ProTeacher Community (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/index.php)
-   Teachers' Lounge (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Black Wedding Attire (http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/showthread.php?t=659338)

Ima Teacher 06-26-2022 10:48 PM

Black Wedding Attire

DH and I will be attending a wedding in September. Guests are asked to wear all black. I have two solid black knit dresses, but theyíre really casual. My dressiest ones are not solid black. One has small pink flowers on a black background. The other has colorful embroidery on the yoke.

Does all black mean solid black? Iíve never been to a wedding with that specific of a dress code. Itís at 5:00 in the afternoon. Itís at a vineyard.

tctrojan 06-26-2022 11:53 PM

I would wear either one of them.

SassyTeach 06-27-2022 02:07 AM

Here's what brides.com says:
"What should a woman wear to a black tie preferred wedding?
Although evening gowns are standard fare for black tie weddings, you can get away with a formal cocktail dress (of the longer variety) or even an elegant suit. You can wear a gown in any silhouette you like. Go all out with a trumpet or ball gown or keep it simple with a dressy sheath."

Here are some examples of dress styles you could wear: https://www.brides.com/gallery/black...-guest-dresses

I would say either one of the dresses you have would be fine!

marguerite2 06-27-2022 03:21 AM

Iíve been to one Ďblack dressí wedding (bride asked guests to wear black). There was a variety of lengths. Most wore cocktail length dresses. Many had embellishments similar to your embroidered yoke.

wildflowerz 06-27-2022 03:48 AM

To me there is a difference between wearing all black and a black tie affair. Are they going for fancy or edgy?

Wear what you feel good in.

Teach 5 06-27-2022 03:50 AM

Sassy Teach

I think Ima is saying that they were asked to wear the color black not black tie apparel.

Ima, I think either dress would be fine. Iím sure you will see variations on black among the guests.

SusanTeach 06-27-2022 04:05 AM

Since it says "all black" I would be afraid to wear something that has other colors on it. You can find an inexpensive black dress on Amazon or probably your local stores.

Munchkins 06-27-2022 04:11 AM

Pictures?

Iím thinking the one with the colorful yoke would work, because that would be like wearing colorful jewelry with solid black. Iím visual, though, so a picture of the dresses would help me! :)

SassyTeach 06-27-2022 04:21 AM

Oh!

Got it! Thanks, Teach 5! I just automatically assumed "black tie". I really need to read things fully. :rolleyes:

twinmom95 06-27-2022 04:25 AM

I find that to be an odd request IMHO. Black tie affair is a bit different.

Wear whichever you like best unless you feel like buying something else.

I will say I was the dressiest at DDs wedding in April which surprised me. I wore a navy a line mid calf sleeveless dress with a jacket with champagne pink pattern and glitter ( which left a trail everywhere, haha!). Other women my age wore dresses with a crop sweater or scarf, something I might wear to school or someone might wear to church. It was an afternoon ( 3pm) wedding, however.

I donated my dress to an Oxfam shop in London that week because I knew I would never wear it again and didn't need it taking up space in my carryon bag ;)

Tori58 06-27-2022 04:30 AM

Huh. It's news to me that brides can tell their guests what color to wear. Black would be easy for me; I'm a musician so my closet is full of black, dressy attire. But, heck if I'd go buy something new for a wedding unless I was, in some way, part of the wedding party. I'd wear whichever of those options you feel the most comfortable in. What are they going to do? Throw you out of the wedding because you didn't follow the dress code?

cabernet 06-27-2022 04:38 AM

I think either of the two dresses would work. They are all black, just a little added for decoration.

mhugs 06-27-2022 04:57 AM

black dress

My 2 cents worth...I think the black dress with colorful embroidery would be a sensible choice. When I think vineyard it reminds me of Spain and they do have colorful needlework.
Just a thought...what is the venue like? indoors-outside. If your September evenings cool as the sun goes down would a black shawl keep you comfortable?

Ima Teacher 06-27-2022 05:33 AM

My guess is theyíre going for edgy. Iíll have to research the venue to see if it is inside or outside. Iím thinking outside. September will still be quite warm here.

Just to add to the ďwhat to wearĒ issue, we are attending the wedding at 5, then a concert at 7 in another town. No time to go home and change.

I love clothes, so I would totally buy a new dress if needed. <!--giggle-->

The dressiest shirt DH owns is a black golfing polo. Iíve seen him in a button down shirt twice: our wedding & DSSís college graduation. Dressing him will be more of a challenge since Iíll need to match shades of black and talk him into buying black shoes so my eye doesnít twitch.

The sisterís wedding a few years ago was outdoor casual.

amiga13 06-27-2022 05:35 AM

I think either of the dressier dresses would be fine. Youíre basically black. And Iím guessing the bride wants everyone to appear mostly black in photos, and you will.

Keltikmom 06-27-2022 06:31 AM

Black wedding attire

The one with the colorful yoke would be choice #1, then the patterned one.

Actually, because I love clothes, I would consider shopping for a new oneÖjust becauseÖyou knowÖshopping!

Tori58 06-27-2022 06:53 AM

Quote:

I love clothes, so I would totally buy a new dress if needed.
Then there's really no question, is there? If you're going to be uncomfortable not following the dress code to a T and you want to shop for a new dress that will work for both wedding and concert, there's your answer.

As for your hubby's need for dress shoes that he may never wear again, Poshmark is a great resource. You can either purchase like-new men's dress shoes for a reasonable price or you can buy brand-new dress shoes and sell them later on Poshmark. They're my go-to for keeping DGS in concert shoes without spending a fortune on shoes he'll only wear a few times.

Shelby3 06-27-2022 07:02 AM

Could you

jazz one of them up with a scarf, jewelry, black hose and heels?

all41 06-27-2022 07:50 AM

Quote:

Guests are asked to wear all black.
IMO, if the wording on the invitation states all black, then I would wear solid black. My only color would come from the jewlery that I wear. This would not be the time to pull out colofull beads or bright stones. If I wore a scarf or sweater, it would be black or a very, very dark gray. For DH I would get him black pants and a very, very dark charcoal gray shirt to help prevent the clash of two different colors of black. Black can be hard to match, just like navy blue.

Have fun shopping! :)

Ima Teacher 06-27-2022 08:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
These are my current mostly black versions.

Left to right.

Knit. Itís my airplane travel dress.

Dressiest looking on on, but least black.

3/4 sleeves and itís a thicker fabric that would be uncomfortably warm unless it was a cool day.

My favorite, which means Iíve also worn it a lot.

Iím thinking shopping is in order. Everyone needs a little black dress anyway.

Munchkins 06-27-2022 08:41 AM

Dresses

Nice dresses! I like your favorite one the best. But I have the feeling youíre going shopping! Have fun!

Funnystory 06-27-2022 03:28 PM

I personally would stress about it so much I would have to buy a new solid all black dress. 😅

klarabelle 07-01-2022 12:40 PM

You can never go wrong with a little black dress, so enjoy shopping.